GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hal has said that there will be fewer sales this year. I'm deciding if I should buy a new battery now and store it until just before my longer trips in May and July. Does anyone know for sure if there is any advantage to buying a battery closer to that time? If I buy one now and store it dry will it be just as "fresh"? Thanks in advance for any help.
Wayne

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I wouldn't, squeeze all you can out of the one you have now. If your worried about it just carry a small set of jumpercables. Then whenever it dies on ya jump her off and go get another one.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
It will last a longggg time as long as you keep it dry and the temperature stable. If you leave it where the temps fluctuate, it will form condensation on the plates and ruin it. :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
You'll save maybe $10 and lose 6 months of warranty. Just a thought. :D

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Wineberrywinger said:
Doesn't the 1800 come with a "sealed" battery? Just wondering
Yes it is a "sealed" battery, but ships from HDL without acid in the battery.

Hal has a nice movie at http://www.bigbikeriders.com/bat.wmv on how to set the battery up before use.

Once you have added the acid and sealed it you will not need to add any acid again. Fully charging the battery before use is highly recommended.

Many other battery suppliers ship their batteries "Ready to Go". You just install them and ride. The acid has already been added and the battery is fully charged prior to shipment. The GL1800 battery is of the AGM variety and has a very low charge loss during "wet" storage, (its not really "Wet" as AGM means "Absorbed Glass Mat").

In most cases an AGM battery will last a very long time, most 1st year GL1800 still have the OEM battery installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts