GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a fan of Shell Rotella T full Syn. oil with my previous bikes. While snooping around in the automotive section at Wally World I was looking at their oils and specifically at what kind of NON energy conserving slection they had in synthetic oils. At the bottom of the oil rating logo where they normally put "energy conserving" (if it is this type of oil) Shell Rotella T Synthetic has C1-Plus 4 (or something to that effect). Maybe this has always been on the label. What does it refer to? Just want to make sure it is not some sort of energy conserving jargon.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have been a fan of Shell Rotella T full Syn. oil with my previous bikes. While snooping around in the automotive section at Wally World I was looking at their oils and specifically at what kind of NON energy conserving slection they had in synthetic oils. At the bottom of the oil rating logo where they normally put "energy conserving" (if it is this type of oil) Shell Rotella T Synthetic has C1-Plus 4 (or something to that effect). Maybe this has always been on the label. What does it refer to? Just want to make sure it is not some sort of energy conserving jargon.
That is the new rating for low sulfer diesel fuel. It has nothing to do with Moly in the energy conserving oils.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil

I have been using the rotella T synthetic for years, but am considering
changing to the dyno 15w40 oil which i'm told is an excellent oil.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
When this picture was taken.my bike had 37K on it using Rotella (blue jug)
Look around the pic and at the gears for color of oil..

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Rocky,
Why did you crack the engine? I used rotella t in my old Royal Star. Never had a moments trouble and as far as I can tell never used a drop of oil.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Rocky,
Why did you crack the engine? I used rotella t in my old Royal Star. Never had a moments trouble and as far as I can tell never used a drop of oil.

A friend wanted to know what the tranny gears looked like??--So I opened my cases to take that Pic?? I'm a good friend huh??

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Some people will do just about anything for a photo oppertunity. Thanks, good pics. Shows the cleaning power of diesel oil.:yes1:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Some people will do just about anything for a photo oppertunity. Thanks, good pics. Shows the cleaning power of diesel oil.:yes1:

I was pullin your chain..lol

My bike suffered the dreaded ACG (Alt-dampener) failure..Both the mechanic and Honda rep wanted to know what brand of oil I had been using..Both said they hadn't seen a bike with internals so clean with 37K on it...That is good enough for me..

·
Registered
350 Posts
Rocky,,, I had the dampener replaced at 47,000 and mine was a clean as your pic..... I have used Rotella oil also.... Like you said,,, the mechanic and shop manager wanted to know what brand oil I used in bike because it was so clean.......

·
Registered
566 Posts
When I had my tranny rebuilt, I subsequently started having problems with my clutch not releasing. I tried changing the oil, and I put in Delo 15W40. I also tried bleeding the clutch, all to no avail. The dealer first off said I used the wrong brake fluid ( i didn't, I used Chevron DOT 4). They changed the brake fluid, but it didn't help the clutch. Next they blamed the oil, saying I should have used Honda oil. They put in Honda GN4 10W40. When I went to pick up the bike, the clutch was still acting up( (go figure). I left the bike with them, and told them to remove the clutch to check it out. They found a C clip coming off, so they replaced it and one of the clutch springs (maybe they did it when they did the tranny). Anyway, when I got the bike back, I have been afraid to run te Delo oil in case I have more issues, so I am running Honda GN4 10W40 for now. I use the Chevron Delo oil in my Cummins Diesel, and have always liked it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Delo is good stuff too. Diesel oil has soot protectors that "can" cause wet clutch problems. I worried about it on the Royal, but so many were using it that I figured the type of plates used would not be effected. I would dare say the same about the Wing. It is normally a type of plate that has problems not the individual ones and I believe the ones the Wing use are fine with it. Dealer will tell you to use Honda oil, Chevy AC oil, Ford Motorcraft. You get the picture.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Delo is good stuff too. Diesel oil has soot protectors that "can" cause wet clutch problems. I worried about it on the Royal, but so many were using it that I figured the type of plates used would not be effected. I would dare say the same about the Wing. It is normally a type of plate that has problems not the individual ones and I believe the ones the Wing use are fine with it. Dealer will tell you to use Honda oil, Chevy AC oil, Ford Motorcraft. You get the picture.
Tsk, tsk.

Shell claims that their Rotella meets the JASO MA wet clutch friction test.
It's not on the bottle, but it was a Q & A on their forum.

Here are a couple informative threads (in response to the original post)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1091920&nt=6&fpart=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1301667&fpart=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1339779&nt=2&fpart=1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts