GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing the Shelter Inner Cover.It has 2 fastners,a screw at the ignition and some kind of push pin at the bottom that is made out of plastic.How do I remove that one? Is it a "one time" use pin and has to be broken to remove?I tried pushing it out from inside the fairing,but no go.Thanks for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,853 Posts
STOP!

DO NOT BREAK ANYTING!

Tell us which year model and help shall be posted in haste!

prs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Not following which part you are referring to. Your title says "inner cover/air cleaner." Have you removed the top shelter? That must be done to access the air box. If you are trying to RnR the air cleaner I would recommend Fred's videos.

If by the shelter inner cover you mean the cover that line the openings on either of the tunnel, those do not have to be removed to access the air cleaner.

To access the air cleaner you must remove the instrument panel cover, the top shelter, pull the electrical harness out of the way, unbolt the ECU that sits over the airbox and pull it to the side, then you can unbolt the 7 or 8 bolts in the airbox. This is not difficult, but there are a lot of parts and fasteners to keep track of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
If this is an HISS model don't get caught by the two identical connectors in the boot on the right hand side.
get it wrong $5000!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,thanks for the help.It is a 2006 ,and you are right,the inner covers do :oops: not have to be removed,just pulled out of the way.Finally got it out,will buy another tomorrow.Any idea what a shop would charge to do this? Let me know,if you can.Did I save much money,or is the fur I tore off,in the process for naught?A die hard do it your selfer,who should know better,but keeps forgetting his history. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
razwrld said:
Removing the Shelter Inner Cover.It has 2 fastners,a screw at the ignition and some kind of push pin at the bottom that is made out of plastic.How do I remove that one? Is it a "one time" use pin and has to be broken to remove?I tried pushing it out from inside the fairing,but no go.Thanks for any help.
I am still wondering how you remove these inner covers on a 2006. Do the pins come out? I know that you do not have to remove them to change the air filter but still would like to know how to remove them. Thanks. ChuckR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck,going to the Dealer today to get the air filter,if I can get to the Tech,I am going to ask him,how to get that pin out and will post here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Jas said:
If this is an HISS model don't get caught by the two identical connectors in the boot on the right hand side.
get it wrong $5000!

This is something that I want to know about.
:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I had the 30,000 mile work done today, which includes change of brake, clutch and finak drive fluids, air cleaner, etc. Cost $500!!! I've got Fred's video's, just got lazy and wanted to be certain that Mother Honda had a record of maintainence performed for the extended warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Biker John said:
Jas said:
If this is an HISS model don't get caught by the two identical connectors in the boot on the right hand side.
get it wrong $5000!

This is something that I want to know about.
:eek:
No you don't... not really. That's the smart-key anti-theft stuff on the European bikes. We don't have it... we get the dumb keys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Those push pins at the bottom of the tunnel covers are just that- push pins but difficult to remove, I started with a knife blade, then needle-nosed pliers, and turning the pins, and finally removal. They will pop out but it takes some doing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
ataDude said:
That's the smart-key anti-theft stuff on the European bikes. We don't have it... we get the dumb keys.
But we have Glocks.....sometimes better than a "smart key".
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top