GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This may just fall into the "You're Just Getting Old..." category but my left foot started getting sorer by the day over the last week. At first I thought I had somehow broke a bone at the base of my second toe - the one next to the big toe as that seemed to be the sore point. However, it's gradually spread from there to the third toe and yesterday the middle of my foot was so sore I had trouble walking. As I was riding yesterday, I realized it was getting aggravated each time I shifted gears - the upshifts were what was really the culprit - the motion of using the toes is what I think has caused the injuiry. I've read that these things could get pretty serious and found out the mid-foot area contains what's called the Lisfranc joint which is apparently where a bunch of bones and tendons come together.

I hope it's something other than the Lisfranc joint as that can be serious and put you out of commission for a long time. By the same token, I try to figure out what's caused an injury because a doctor's visit only lasts 5-10 minutes and sometimes its things you can figure out yourself. As another example, the base of both of my thumbs were sore and swollen and it took me a month or so to realize its because I use my cell phone so much for playing games and surfing the internet and the manner in which I was holding my cell phone is why the thumb bases were injured. In this case, I think its from me just shifting gears on my motorcycle.

Curious - anyone else ever have a foot injury like the one I described that could similarly be related to shifting?
Yes, I have a Lisfranc injury. Broke my 1st, 2nd and 3rd metatarsal bones in my left (shifter) foot on my mx bike in 2000. It was addressed by several screws holding it together while it healed, which most were removed a few months later. Since then, a large calcium deposit grew over the mid-foot area. I did not have any problems shifting, walking, hiking, etc., other than some start-up pain which went away after a few minutes. Over time, the top of my mid-foot got more sensitive where the calcium deposit was growing. It became uncomfortable to tighten dress shoes on that area, but walking wasn't a problem. A couple years ago the calcium deposit had become large enough it interfered with closing ski boots, mx boots, etc. I had the deposit surgically removed. It took about a year for it to be comfortable for walking and closing the boots, and I missed a ski season, but I am back to mostly normal. I do wear an over-the-counter orthotic and excellent athletic shoes to provide better stability and support. This is critical to properly support your foot. Do not think that more arch support is better. It can really cause a lot of discomfort. Got to an excellent podiatrist and/or podiatric physical therapist. After removal of that mid-foot calcium deposit, the podiatric PT really got me on track. I have no discomfort whatsoever when shifting any of my bikes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This may just fall into the "You're Just Getting Old..." category but my left foot started getting sorer by the day over the last week. At first I thought I had somehow broke a bone at the base of my second toe - the one next to the big toe as that seemed to be the sore point. However, it's gradually spread from there to the third toe and yesterday the middle of my foot was so sore I had trouble walking. As I was riding yesterday, I realized it was getting aggravated each time I shifted gears - the upshifts were what was really the culprit - the motion of using the toes is what I think has caused the injuiry. I've read that these things could get pretty serious and found out the mid-foot area contains what's called the Lisfranc joint which is apparently where a bunch of bones and tendons come together.

I hope it's something other than the Lisfranc joint as that can be serious and put you out of commission for a long time. By the same token, I try to figure out what's caused an injury because a doctor's visit only lasts 5-10 minutes and sometimes its things you can figure out yourself. As another example, the base of both of my thumbs were sore and swollen and it took me a month or so to realize its because I use my cell phone so much for playing games and surfing the internet and the manner in which I was holding my cell phone is why the thumb bases were injured. In this case, I think its from me just shifting gears on my motorcycle.

Curious - anyone else ever have a foot injury like the one I described that could similarly be related to shifting?
Heel-Toe shifter. The best is TRAXXION. I have it and what a difference. The kuryakyn heel toe broke on me.

·
Registered
2019 Gold Wing Tour - Hawkseye Blue
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for the responses, tips and advice. I was certain something was broken but an x-ray said no. I have an appointment with my regular doc to see the x-ray and discuss other possibilities. It could be multiple causes - including gout and after doing a lot of searching and reading, I’m leaning towards Extensor Tendonitis as the primary cause as it checks more boxes than others the way the pain and swelling occur after walking, riding and resting. It also seems a likely result from shifting the way I do with the standard GW foot peg/shifter arrangement. Up shifts are likely the culprit over time for this injury. Look it up if you have similar issues and let me know what you think.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts