GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on 2002 with 46K. The shifter lever actually drags on the plastic chrome cover when shifting. The shifter is touching it pretty tight, I have to move the shifter down out of the way to get the side cover off. I don't think it's a big deal and I can easily trim about 1/8" of the plastic off for clearance, just wondering why it is doing this as I don't remember this happening on either of my prior Wings. It just seems like the shifter is back further than it should be. There also seems to be quite a bit of play in the shifter; you can see the play distance in the shifter in the two pics with the red lines, but that may just be normal.

I bought it last September and have put about 2100 miles on it, mostly riding in traffic areas so I shift a lot. I am not having any shifting issues with it and it hasn't ghost shifted or found any false neutrals.
Bicycle part Automotive tire Hood Bumper Nail

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part Automotive design Rim

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Hand Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Rim

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Cobradriver it doesn't move front to back or side to side, I tried. The rubber is probably clean because I moved it to shine a flashlight in there to see where it connects to the pivot, it doesn't seems to wiggle around like it's worn. It does rub on the rubber too though. Here are a couple pics I took when the side cover was off.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Bicycle part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Tread Wood Bicycle part Rim

Looks bent to me. Did you have a tip over?
I was wondering the same thing, I haven't tipped over, but the prior owner may have.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the diagram pics Cobra posted, the bend angle doesn't look the same. Maybe it is bent that would exain it.

·
Registered
2013 F6B
707 Posts
I am back to thinking the shifter is bent.
Here are some pics of mine.
The rubber should be behind the cover and looks like it should line up with it pretty closely (with the front edge of the cover). And the front of the shifter is right next to the rubber (no gap).
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Chard Member
13,417 Posts
Isn’t your rear lower cowl/ header cover after market? I’d try to bend it away from the shifter a little. Might have warped over the years from heat.

Put a belly pan on lately or had the cover off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look at the forward bottom tip of your shifter. It looks like it impacted something (Instead of being smooth/round.
Isn’t your rear lower cowl/ header cover after market? I’d try to bend it away from the shifter a little. Might have warped over the years from heat.

Put a belly pan on lately or had the cover off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes they are aftermarket chrome, were on it when I bought it. Yes I did install a belly pan sir but it's been rubbing like this since I bought the Wing, just getting to looking into why it rubs. But the plastic side cover is what it's hitting and I can't bend that.

And looking at the end I do see where it looks like it may have been impacted. Looks like some close underside inspection is in order.
Tire Liquid Tableware Automotive tire Water

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
My bet is that it's bent especially after seeing that last picture of the damaged end.

·
Registered
2005 trike
2,216 Posts
I was going to say, just buy a new one. But that puppy ain't cheap! $132.00 or so from Partzilla.

If you do try to reshape it, take it off the bike and clamp it in a vise. If you try to do it on the bike you may bend something else.

$114.76

Rayjoe
24705-MCA-000 Free shipping to www.partsfish.com
$114.76
Partsfish.com

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Looks like the bike was moving forward and the shift lever snagged on something and was pushed backwards. Three options...

1. Replace the lever.
2. Trim the plastic (low on my list of corrections).
3. Remove the lever, place in vise. Remove rubber sleeve, heat with torch and carefully tap/bend it back into alignment. (Which is what I've done before over the years).

Enjoy your future miles of smiles 😃.

Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
There also seems to be quite a bit of play in the shifter; you can see the play distance in the shifter in the two pics with the red lines, but that may just be normal.
Besure your engine cover is installed correctly. When you remove it, flip it over, nothing should be broke, and the tension grommet should be there. It should fit into 3 healthy grommets that are not worn, cracked, missing, or damaged.

Certainly inspect the shift linkage. If on the Wing, and looking down from above, it should stick out at a 90 deg angle. If you grab onto the shift-link's toe-rubber, and pull in-out, there should be very little, to no, in/out movement. Also, if the lower center cowl is removed, a better inspection can be done on the rest of the outer linkage. It's important to note, that the shift-link arm that attaches to the splined shaft coming out of the engine case, needs to be at about the 12:30 position. The one in the picture above is sitting at/about the 11:30 position ... the 11:30 position is incorrect, and is off by 1 tooth.

However, when it's all said and done, your issue is probably cause from having aftermarket chrome front exhaust shields. The OEM ones are usually silver or black in color, and have a certain amount of flex in them making them easy to install. The aftermarket chrome ones are made of a thicker, heavier, and far more ridged metal, and all that often makes them extreemly difficult to installed. When installed incorrectly, they'll stickout in places. Your's is probably not installed correctly, thus making the shift lever look out of place, and appear to not fit correctly, when the real issue might have to do with a poorly fitted shield. The shield is held on by 4 hold tabs, 2 nuts, and a front bolt. If any of the 4 tabs are not fitted correctly, it can cause your issue, but most likely, the hold tab in the picture below is the one not fitted correctly, and it is probably forcing the sheild outward.

If you discover that fitment with the exhaust shield is the real issue, and you intend to fit it correctly, be sure to have extra #4, and 5s available (see fishe below). With aftermarket shields, #4's get torn often. It will also help to have a spray bottle of Dawn and water, and you'll probably find it best to remove the side stand assembly.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Tire Automotive wheel system

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Nut

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a shifter and linkage coming from @pwhoever, great guy.

What I love about the people on this board. Post a question or concern and get answers, ideas pictures and assistance from multiple members. Thanks for all the help y'all, and @GoldWingrGreg for the information on the shields. I assume I'll have to remove the exhaust shield to get this done properly.

·
Vendor
20,217 Posts
I have a shifter and linkage coming from @pwhoever, great guy.

What I love about the people on this board. Post a question or concern and get answers, ideas pictures and assistance from multiple members. Thanks for all the help y'all, and @GoldWingrGreg for the information on the shields. I assume I'll have to remove the exhaust shield to get this done properly.
You're welcome. Unfortunately, when a Wing comes into JustWings, and both right and left sheilds need removed, and they have those aftermarket ones, some can be so challenging, that I'll charge at lease an add'l hour worth of labor fighting to get them on. Some only take an add'l 10 mins of labor time, while occationally some I'll fight for 2 hours. Every Wing is a little different, and sometimes every set of those can be a lot different. All I can say is HAVE FUN :(

Have a pair of leather gloves handy too ... sometimes their bottom edges are sharp, and those can help if having to push and pull. Do not bend their mount tabs unless absolutly neccessary ... I've only had to do that one time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts