GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a great board with the smartest guys around for help. Does any one think of a fix for this problem? I searched the board without much results.

My 02 GW with 25k miles is starting to have a intermittent problem when trying to downshift. When i start to downshift when slowing, sometimes the shifter lever will not return to the "normal" ready position. It seems to hang so when i again attempt to go to a lower gear i have to tap the shifter to get the shifter to pop up all the way to continue to downshift.
It seems to be happening more between 5th and 4th or 4th and third. I cant find a common time when it will occur but it is getting either more frequent or I am noticing it more.

Is there a need to lubricate the shifter bushings or a fix short of a disassembly??

thanks guys..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I use the Pingel Electric Shifter, and yes, I too had an issue that was brought about by the rubber "guard" that runs along the sides of the shifter lever binding just a bit. I trimmed the rubber back a bit and did put a little white lithium grease on the spindle where the shifter rotates on. Also, just for kicks, check the side panel and make sure the bottom is set. Every so often mine works lose and interfere as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts