GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a great board with the smartest guys around for help. Does any one think of a fix for this problem? I searched the board without much results.

My 02 GW with 25k miles is starting to have a intermittent problem when trying to downshift. When i start to downshift when slowing, sometimes the shifter lever will not return to the "normal" ready position. It seems to hang so when i again attempt to go to a lower gear i have to tap the shifter to get the shifter to pop up all the way to continue to downshift.
It seems to be happening more between 5th and 4th or 4th and third. I cant find a common time when it will occur but it is getting either more frequent or I am noticing it more.

Is there a need to lubricate the shifter bushings or a fix short of a disassembly??

thanks guys..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
There is a spring under the front linkage cover.

I suspect that is the cause, not an common problem but if the shifter does not want to return most likely that spring.

Maybe some computer guru can post a photo of it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Do you have the standard (stock) foot pegs or did you upgrade to a floor board with a toe-heal shifter?

.....If a toe-heal shifter you need to dissasemble the toe-heal shifter and hone out the plastic sleeve to allow the toe-heal shift lever to move freely

.....if you have stock items...not sure what to tell you...other than get it fixed ASAP...otherwise you will damage your fork that is in side the clutch/transminssion...once that's damaged you have repair bills...

Good Luck....

Safe Rides...

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
This is a great board with the smartest guys around for help. Does any one think of a fix for this problem? I searched the board without much results.

My 02 GW with 25k miles is starting to have a intermittent problem when trying to downshift. When i start to downshift when slowing, sometimes the shifter lever will not return to the "normal" ready position. It seems to hang so when i again attempt to go to a lower gear i have to tap the shifter to get the shifter to pop up all the way to continue to downshift.
It seems to be happening more between 5th and 4th or 4th and third. I cant find a common time when it will occur but it is getting either more frequent or I am noticing it more.

Is there a need to lubricate the shifter bushings or a fix short of a disassembly??

thanks guys..
A 02 bike w/25K on it begs the question."When did you change the clutch fluid last?"

Start with the easy stuff first.Change the fluid so you have a base to start from.Everyone I change the fluid on their bikes for says, Wow it shifts smoother.

This may or may not be your problem,but fresh fluid does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
There is a spring under the front linkage cover.

I suspect that is the cause, not an common problem but if the shifter does not want to return most likely that spring.

Maybe some computer guru can post a photo of it.
Is there really a spring...I thought the same thing...but was told later by a mechanice that there is no spring on the newer bikes, all done by hydraulics...? Just curious...?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Is there really a spring...I thought the same thing...but was told later by a mechanice that there is no spring on the newer bikes, all done by hydraulics...? Just curious...?

Ya gotta watch those mechanics....ya gotta watch those that live in South Carolina too........:joke:

Yep there is a spring, it is most likely sprung.........

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
The spring is not a job for the feint of heart.

(ROCKY: Begs FOR the question >CLICK<)

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shifter

Thanks guys.. i will immediately start on the hydraulic fluid and change it...Anything is worth a try. Yes it is OEM shifter not heel and toe. I pulled the side covers today looking for anything out of order and found nothing.. I did place a drop of oil on the linkage connection points and the seal point.

Can anyone tell me off hand if its DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid for the clutch..

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks guys.. i will immediately start on the hydraulic fluid and change it...Anything is worth a try. Yes it is OEM shifter not heel and toe. I pulled the side covers today looking for anything out of order and found nothing.. I did place a drop of oil on the linkage connection points and the seal point.

Can anyone tell me off hand if its DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid for the clutch..
Dot 4.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I wish I had good news for you but am probably the only one on here playing with your issues to the extent of pulling motors and splitting cases. So I will brainstorm what I know.

Make sure the shift lever pivot bolt and washer is cleaned, inspected, and lubed with grease. To Honda that is a "multi-purpose grease (lithium based multi-purpose grease NLGI #2 or equivalent)" or white lithium grease to us.

You can remove the transmission linkage cover, inspect everything there for any wear and assume it is a week spring and replace all 3 if you want, but I have not found that to correct that issue. Honda does not supply a way to test the springs. You can also pull the motor, split the case, replace shift spindal A, because it will show lots of wear, and it's bearings, and still not fix it. It can be a shift drum or it's bearings, but, if they are like the ones I have inspected, no wear will be found and the bearings will test fine. I have never seen any wear on shift spindal B either. If you replace the forks and fork shaft and bearings, unless they show wear, nothing is accomplish there either.

Flushing the clutch fluid needs to be done every 12k, so make sure that is done as required, but that has nothing to do with your problem. Wings that have that done and have perfectly operating clutchs and master and slave cylinders still do it.

I have never found a fix for that issue. Many seem to do what you are describing, but yours sounds worst.

I would lube the shift linkage like I stated above and carefully inspect your ball and claw joints in the external linkage first. What weight and oil type are you using. Other then the extenal linkage, the rest is lubricated by engine oil, and it is splashed and not under pressure, so make sure your oil level correct. Since we are running out of options here, when in doubt, if you are not using Honda oil, I would try going back to GN4 and make sure you are the weight is correct for your climate.

Good luck with that and keep us posted what you find. I would like to know if I have over looked something trying to correct that on several and thus far have not. But all of those have always been that way. Can I assume that yours is getting worst?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
shifter

Thanks for the imformation gold wing Greg. I have done what you suggested already removing the cover and lubricating the external linkage. All of the linkage looked clean, tight and good. I will change the fluid today if possible. I have not tried a test since i lubricated the linkage but that will come today.

Like i said earlier i dont know if its getting worse or I am just more aware of it on each shift now than i was before.

It looks like i may have to buy a new wing..awwwwwww

thanks again.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shifter

Oh btw i run synthetic oil only in the bike.. I don't remember the weights fut like most synthetics its thin..

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Thanks for the imformation gold wing Greg. I have done what you suggested already removing the cover and lubricating the external linkage. All of the linkage looked clean, tight and good. I will change the fluid today if possible. I have not tried a test since i lubricated the linkage but that will come today.

Like i said earlier i dont know if its getting worse or I am just more aware of it on each shift now than i was before.

It looks like i may have to buy a new wing..awwwwwww

thanks again.
If it is not getting worst, that makes more sence to me. Unless shifter related, I am not aware of one getting worst. It is just one of the quirks of a GL1800.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts