GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still relatively new to GL1800s. On my latest '08, about 1 shift out of 80 (really approximate) I end up in Neutral when up-shifting from 1st. I'm guessing it is me, and caused by not shifting up hard enough on the lever. BUT...Is there an adjustment of some sort that might be out or off that I should look at?

This can be a bit embarrassing and/or unsafe, since sometimes I'll be pulling out from a secondary road onto another and I go nowhere fast in neutral with traffic coming! Plus I'm losing momentum, often in a corner at a slow speed where I really need to be accelerating.

If the consensus is I just need to jam those gears harder, I'm there. OTOH, if something is out of adjustment I'd like to know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Are you pre-loading the shifter? By that I mean are you raising your foot until you feel resistance before the actual shift. Another thing that can help is to not let off all the way on the throttle. Most bikes don't like a lazy shift.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had some shift issues when I first bought my 08, then got into a groove with the new bike and no more issues after a few months of getting used to her.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've got a 2004, I've had it for almost 10 years and I STILL DO IT once in a blue moon. It happens and yes, it's a bit embarrassing.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
649 Posts
If you have grown up around the Honda product, it is known as the clunk and grind transmission. When shifting doing the toe up, you just hold the shifter up, keep it loaded for awhile till you know the power it being delivered good and solid, and then you can do it all again

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
I'm still relatively new to GL1800s. On my latest '08, about 1 shift out of 80 (really approximate) I end up in Neutral when up-shifting from 1st. I'm guessing it is me, and caused by not shifting up hard enough on the lever. BUT...Is there an adjustment of some sort that might be out or off that I should look at?

This can be a bit embarrassing and/or unsafe, since sometimes I'll be pulling out from a secondary road onto another and I go nowhere fast in neutral with traffic coming! Plus I'm losing momentum, often in a corner at a slow speed where I really need to be accelerating.

If the consensus is I just need to jam those gears harder, I'm there. OTOH, if something is out of adjustment I'd like to know.

Thanks.
Usually your symptom is caused by operator error or needed maintenance.

Does this happen at operating temperature ???

Be sure to do the following:
- read the Owner's Manual on shifting, throttling, and clutching to verify you are operating your Wing correctly
- remove the clutch lever. Clean, inspect for wear, replace any worn parts, and lube the clutch lever and all mating surfaces. Be sure to inspect the boot behind the lever too.
- if it is an aftermarket clutch lever, or aftermarket bushing in the clutch lever, replace the lever with an OEM lever, bushing, and pivot pin
- change and bleed your clutch fluid
- have someone else who rides GL1800 ride yours to see if they have the same problem too

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
259 Posts
My first thought when I hear shifting issues I wonder what foot wear you have. I have found a soft shoe requires on more toe pressure on the shifter than a motorcycle boot or steel toe type boot.
Just an observation of mine...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
My old Yamaha Venture Royale never had that issue. I would shift through the gears perfectly. However, there were times I had to hunt for neutral.
With the 2005 Goldwing I bought new, I was pleased how easy it could be positioned into neutral. However I did experience the miss shift 1st to 2nd once in a great while. Not an issue, but I had to be sure not to lazy shift.
I have also experienced this, tho rarely, with my new 2016. I just get too relaxed on a rare occasion!

I attribute it to how the transmissions are designed. Have also experienced this or never had an issue with other bikes over the past 50 years. Even hand shifting in cars can have different feel different between designs. I would only have a concern if this was a constant problem that did not change with technique.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
So far never any shifting issues with my wing.
It does sound like your shifting issues might be self inflicted.
Having someone with more GL1800 shifting experience take it for a test ride does sound like a good idea.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good advice. I experimented with the 'preloading' of the foot shifter and man, what a difference in performance! How did I never know this??? I guess its cause I ride alone and there are a total of about 2 other GWs here in the county I live in--nobody to discuss this stuff with, compare notes, etc. Thanks for your comments. I do think it was totally operator error and ignorance, since I'd never heard the term "lazy shift" before but I think I get it now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts