GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift gears it feels like it is riding over the clogs until it finds the spot to go in. Now going down hill it is smooth as glass. Im making a good shift holding the lever in. Just what is going on here?? This a 06 with about 27,000 miles on it. Oem shifter and grips. Using dino rotella T for oil changed around 3-4000 mile mark.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
What year bike?
How many miles?
Stock shifter or heel / toe?
Air in clutch?
Big grips preventing clutch lever from moving close enough to the bar?

Have you tried adjusting your clutch lever? Mine is at 3 and I have the kury ISO grips.

What oil are you running?
Has she been serviced correctly?

Too many questions right now. Need more info.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I shift gears it feels like it is riding over the clogs until it finds the spot to go in. Now going down hill it is smooth as glass. Im making a good shift holding the lever in. Just what is going on here??
Can you give a general idea what RPM at which you are shifting?

·
Vendor
17,364 Posts
You should not be holding the shift lever after you have lifted up until it stops. Is this a new problem? See my sig ...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
When I shift gears it feels like it is riding over the clogs until it finds the spot to go in. Now going down hill it is smooth as glass. Im making a good shift holding the lever in. Just what is going on here??
Not enough information to really make out anything about the bike or shifting. I am not going to get into another three or four page thread about GW transmissions or how to shift one. I agree about documenting the problem, letting your dealership know that there might be a problem. I will tell you that I am very happy with my Gold Wing now that the transmission has been rebuilt. THANKS Greg...the undercutter......

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have a 2005 using Motols 10W40 Syn oil. and have 28,000 miles. Stock grips. stock shifter. Bike is all stock except for J&M MP3 player & Trailer hitch. It does not have CB or CD, non ABS. When shifting into 5th gear it seems like it goes about half way in gear, then pauses and goes the rest of the way in. Has been doing it for a while. 5th is where I notice it the worse but does it in all gears some what but 5th is the worse.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I am having the same problem. I have a 2005 using Motols 10W40 Syn oil. and have 28,000 miles. Stock grips. stock shifter. Bike is all stock except for J&M MP3 player & Trailer hitch. It does not have CB or CD, non ABS. When shifting into 5th gear it seems like it goes about half way in gear, then pauses and goes the rest of the way in. Has been doing it for a while. 5th is where I notice it the worse but does it in all gears some what but 5th is the worse.

Hope you have an extended warranty...get it to a dealership and document the visit. Start keeping a log every time you have the problem.

I just paid over five grand for a tranny rebuild; search the forum here for transmission issues. I had Greg rebuild my wings transmission, he has the gears undercut and it is a dream to ride now! Seven hundred miles so far and I plan on doing a 1000 mile post repair report on this forum.

Good luck, talk to Greg he knows more about this and why than I do. I just know that three different dealerships all told me my "fork shifter was bent" Greg was the only source I found that in my OPINION fixes the problem. Dealerships just replace parts and whats to say that it won't happen again?

Gumby.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Hey Greg - if a guy or gal has a blown tranny... what's the turn-a-round time if they send you the gears to be undercut?

·
Vendor
17,364 Posts
Hey Greg - if a guy or gal has a blown tranny... what's the turn-a-round time if they send you the gears to be undercut?
Magnuflux and a basic undercut is under $700 plus shipping and tax. The turn around time varies depending on m/c racing season. It can be as little as 3 weeks and as much as 6.

In all cases thus far, it is cheaper to undercut and repair the old gears than it is to repair the tranny with new gears and not undercut them. If they are not undercut, there is a good chance ghost shifting will reoccure. Replacing with new is not a guarentee fix ... undercutting is.

All though I don't talk about ghost shifting on my web page, you can see my other services at JustWings.com.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts