GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a never ending search for the "ultimate comfort" setup for my Wing. I've got the seat and foot placement issues resolved. However, wind buffeting has been a huge part of my discomfort. After trying numberous aftermarket windshields, I came to the realization that you simply can't look over the top of the shield riding 80 mph and not get wind buffeting...even with all the wind and hand wings, etc. The ONLY way to eliminate the wind noise and buffeting is to stay out of the wind...thus, an extra tall windshield to push the wind above the top of my helmet. I purchased the Tulsa x-tall as I am 6'2" and I still wasn't able to get completely out of the slip stream over the windshield.

The solution I came up with is to modify the Tulsa set up slightly by "shimming" up the windshield so it deflected more air above my helmet. What I did was purchase a 35" rubber tie-down from Home Depot and cut off the excess rubber ends including metal hooks. I cleaned up the plastic support area between the shield and dash and used contact cement to permenately attach the rubber gasket to the contact area in front of the dash. This "pushed" the angle of the Tulsa shield higher that with their standard, thin piece rubber gasket. In addition, I drilled small holes near the bottom of the plastic shield (be careful not to crack the plastic) and attached metal screws w/washers throught the shield and into the supporting plate to "hold" the shield in the more upright position. After reattaching the exterior plastic cover and tightening down the shield with the dash-mounted windshield clamps, I have a highly efficient wind screen that is further away from my face and blocks more air as the shield is taller and with a greater angle of deflection. My co-rider says she can feel a big difference with minimal buffeting at 70+ mph highway speeds. This works great for me and I hope you find it works for you too.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
F4 plus 4" windshield does the same thing without having to worry about hitting your helmet or head on the windshield. My last three Gold Wings had Tulsa's. Now that I have found and used the F4 I will not be going back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Angus:

You are the first I've read that endorses the Mircro-Swirl. 99% of the posts I've read said there is "no benefit" to reduced turbulence at higher highway speeds. Does it help with turbulence or just channel the rain from coming over the top of the shield?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
swirl

It Moved the air flow up at least three inches higher. I have a tulsa that Allen custom made for me it is about four inches shorter than standard with the edging it is perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts