GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,391 Posts
What diameter are the shims and looking for recommended shim kits? Planning for first valve adjustment
IIRC; the same as previous model which are 7.48mm. I checked mine way early and then all of the shim set intakes were in spec, so I did not actually try the 7.48 diameter shims I have. The exhaust were also in spec, but set with threaded adjuster. My kit is by HotCams plus some of the more common intermediate sizes ordered from the Honda parts fische. The typical plan is to check the clearances of the intakes. If out of spec, remove and measure the relevant shim(s), do the math and order what ya need. The kits are $ and have LOTS of sizes you will never need, maybe some that do will be missing.

prs

Reactions: Bob from Florida

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC; the same as previous model which are 7.48mm. I checked mine way early and then all of the shim set intakes were in spec, so I did not actually try the 7.48 diameter shims I have. The exhaust were also in spec, but set with threaded adjuster. My kit is by HotCams plus some of the more common intermediate sizes ordered from the Honda parts fische. The typical plan is to check the clearances of the intakes. If out of spec, remove and measure the relevant shim(s), do the math and order what ya need. The kits are $ and have LOTS of sizes you will never need, maybe some that do will be missing.

prs
Thanks for replying. The 7.48 kit seemed to be the most common with 3 shims per size. Which works as long as <= 3 identical needs. I just want to have the bases covered - as in having whatever is needed instead of ordering and waiting. By the way - which tool did you end up using to relax the cam chain tensioner?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, I called the Honda plant yesterday, asking about an OEM shim kit. Apparently Honda doesn't make a 'kit'. All sold individually .
Why would Honda actually have a kit? Rhetorical question of course. Thanks for asking them. The last engine I did shims on was a 1981 Suzuki 650G inline 4 cylinder. I had this Suzuki tool that allowed you to depress the valve and get to the shim without pulling the camshaft! I also remember driving to the Suzuki dealer and buying a handfull of shims.

·
Registered
17,391 Posts

I have two tools similar or same as shown. I do both sides at once.

prs

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
The one with the string is Honda's specific to getting the right side on 2001-2017 ABS bikes. Apparently, that one does not have one way ratcheting and needs the string to tie off to hold it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts