GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with the Shinko SE890 Journey tires? I want to put new shoes on a bike before a sale .
Dunlop E4 kinda puts a huge dent in the wallet. Open to suggestions.
I normally use a CT , but I will not sell it shod that way.

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
I'd put a ct on before i put shinko.~~last i looked reviews werent good on it other than cost .

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I had a set of Shinko's that I won at Americade a few years ago. Worst wearing tires I have ever seen. Had to change them at 6000 miles. The more they wore the worse the handling became.

Bridgestone's are less expensive than Dunlops and are far superior to Stinko's.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I've used the Shinko's on both my Goldwing and the Harley. No real complaints. They do wear a bit faster than the Bridgestones on the Goldwing, although the $/Mile comes out about the same. On the Harley they do seem somewhat sensitive to seams in the pavement that run more or less in line with your direction of travel. Certainly not enough to be dangerous, but it can be a bit disconcerting. If you're selling the bike and it needs new shoes to eliminate a buyers potential objections, I'd not hesitate to use the Shinkos.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Stinkos! Terrible tires. Tried one once and as it wore traction became poor first on wet then even on dry pavement with lots of thread left showing. Will never try again. The Stones OEMs are good tires and much less expensive than the E-4 or even the Cobras.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Kind of an inexpensive solution to show new tires on the bike, Shinko's for about $200 would do it. Go to Rocky Mountain ATV and for about $80 more you can outfit the Wing with a set of Bridgestones 709/704, and send her down the road with tires to match the quality of the bike you're selling. Better for the bike and better for the new owner, plus seeing a set of quality tires on the bike make prying those few extra bucks out of the buyers pocket a bit easier. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Shinko has had a terrible history of radialtires for Goldwings. The first 2 were failures including one of them being recalled. The 890 I believe is the 3rd attempt and also has had mixed reviews. I would never put Shinkos on mine based on the history. I would spend the extra money for something that has a better track record. Like the old phrase goes, buy once, cry once...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I agree with mountainrider and a few other not worth it. My experience with Shinko they are Stinkos.......terrible tyre..
Best of luck.
Joe

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I tried Shinko tires on my 450 Honda (I was 17 years old/at the time) and the less I had to pay the better (U understand at that age)............I needed new tires a month later (I was cowboy at the time/ I was young and dumb, and thought showing off was the cool thing to do.....Well not only did I waste my money on junk tires, I also blew up the motor, showing off....and when I was making $1.60 an hour, working at Dunkin Donuts, at the time, money didn't go too far.............

Aaaaaaaaaaaa memories!

Ronnie

Reactions: MountainRider

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shinkos do, however, make good chew toys for Rottweilers!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all your thoughts and ideas. I'll do some more shopping around. I will not sell it with the CT thats on the rear and didnt really want to unload the Dunnie $$$.
Again , thanks.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I had great results on Shinko rear tires on the 2002 and 2005 Concours C10. Those were the 777HD model versions and many of the Concours forums had similar good results. Ran a Shinko Verge 011 front and rear on the Honda ST1300. No complaints but it didn't wear near as well as the 777HD versions. No failures or balance isssues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts