GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanting to know if anyone has done this. I have bought a bike in Florida and want to ship it to montana so I can pick it up in the summer there (just closer..I have thought of just flying to florida and riding it back too)...Just seeing what the cost is and if it's close to a grand I will just fly and ride I think....thanks jer

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Just wanting to know if anyone has done this. I have bought a bike in Florida and want to ship it to montana so I can pick it up in the summer there (just closer..I have thought of just flying to florida and riding it back too)...Just seeing what the cost is and if it's close to a grand I will just fly and ride I think....thanks jer
Coast to Coast 495
http://www.shippingmasters.com/
A lot of people ship to Sturgis this way from Florida

·
Registered
81 Posts
fly

Fly you get a nice trip I did it twice so far New York first and next one was North Carolina. I got third one shipped from michigan and had about $700 in damages when I picked it up:congrats:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd be willing to go to Florida now, on my dime, pick it up and ride it as far as Oklahoma City (where I live), then meet you somewhere in Montana later on in the spring/summer. I do have a good, safe, indoor place for storage. I live on a private airpark and have a nice big hangar at my house. PM me if this interests you. I actually just found this board. I've been riding a Goldwing, of some year, since 1988. Been riding motorcycles since 1973, when I turned 14 years old.:) I've probably got close to 250,000 miles under my belt, and never had an accident.;)

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I think there is one called Bike Haulers.:thumbup:I have seen their vehicles and service 1st hand! Great job, on time and professional. JMHO
Good Luck on what ever you decide to do.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I used Federal Companies. Cost was $900.00 from PA to CA. I am a member of the AMA and that brought it down to $760.00. Took a week to get the bike. Great service!

http://www.funtransport.com/

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response guys......looks like a one way flight from Calgary to tampa is about 375 bucks......I am thinking 3-4 days back to the border and if I tent it like I usually do I get a free trip (thinking about a grand to ship then).

Then if I make a holiday out of it I am already close to some great riding on my way back anyway - DRAGON would be great to do.

So many things to consider but the riding would be the best.....need a good long trip after being stuck in the middle east for about a year.....be nice to get out of this traffic and the crazy drivers too.

Cheers jer

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hop on a one-way flight and ride your new bike home. :cool:

I have done that with each of my last two Goldwings and I had a great trip each time.

You'll need temporary registration and insurance. I cover those topics in my web site on importing bike from the US into Canada so you might want to check that out. (See the link in my signature below.)

Basically, if you are buying from a dealer, in most states they will provide temporary registration. If not or if buying privately, you'll have to check with that state's DMV on how to get a temporary registration (sometimes called "paper plates") and the cost. For insurance, go to your insurance broker and ask for a "Binder of Insurance". That will give you both the liability and collision coverage required based upon it time coverage and the declared value of the bike.

Enjoy the ride and be sure to bring a camera along to capture some of the memories, including a selfy of the big grin on your face after your first day's ride.

BTW... Is it a new or used bike? Each presents some unique opportunities/challenges for an adventure such as this.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Unless Calgary is different than Ontario, you will have a hard time getting insurance for a bike that is not yet registered in Canada. You will have to go through the RIV process to import the bike. When I got mine from Chicago, I could not get insurance until it was registered in Canada so I had to trailer it back.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Unless Calgary is different than Ontario, you will have a hard time getting insurance for a bike that is not yet registered in Canada. You will have to go through the RIV process to import the bike. When I got mine from Chicago, I could not get insurance until it was registered in Canada so I had to trailer it back.
Sounds like very fun fun, and lots of paperwork, and fees

·
Registered
66 Posts
I imported my US bike 3 years ago and no problem getting insurance for it and drove it home from Michigan. When I got home then went through the RIVCO process.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trip

Daddo - I will look at your site.....I have bought bikes in the past in the states and brought them back.....used my old plate from canada and got a temporary insurance through my insurance company....had all the original paperwork sent to me so they had all the info. I had a week after I got back to get it all done though which was no problem.

She is a used 2010 black baby......44k and I am getting some work done on it now....just little stuff - fog/running lights - trailer hitch - highway pegs and maybe the front end - triple tree and better springs (maybe) haven't figured that all out yet.

The owner is letting me do payments even...so she will be paid off in May....which was handy. Had a friend go and look at the bike for me too.

here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVJ7GGOk02c&feature=youtu.be

jer

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey I haven't decided but I am sure I will ride it back.....I want to do the dragon and this is a great oportunity as I will be just about there anyway. I am used to lonnnnnnnnnnng trips.....most of mine are atleast 5000 miles. So I am leaning that way....I did the beartooth a year ago and that was fun....so yes......driving it back will be a powerful force to overcome...jer

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You may have asked for a specific type of policy or the agent you spoke with was not well trained in the field of insurance. These are fairly common in the insurance field where coverage is required for vehicles in transit, purchased from a remote location. Unfortunately, not all insurance agents extend their knowledge beyond filling our forms for standard auto and household policies.

What you need to ask for is a "Binder of insurance" or an "Insurance Binder".

What Is an Insurance Binder?
An insurance binder is a temporary issuance of proof of insurance that will "bind" or cover you temporarily until a formal policy is issued. The binder must contain your name as the insured, the limits of coverage in dollar amounts, what type of insurance it is, what is actually being covered (such as your car or home) and the company issuing the insurance. The beginning date must be evident. If there is a loan used to buy what is being insured, the lender (lienholder) information should be listed as well. Have a question? Get an answer from a personal finance professional now!

How Does an Insurance Binder Work?
When you apply for insurance with an insurance company or agency, they may have the authority to "bind" or cover you immediately for a specific time, usually until the actual policy can be issued. The binder is your proof of insurance. Because not all insurance agents have the authority to issue binders, the coverage usually goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. the following day.

Why is an Auto Insurance Binder Needed?
Auto dealers require buyers to have proof of insurance, since the vehicle is removed from their liability when you become the new owner. If you have an automobile loan, the lienholder requires coverage so its financial interest is protected. You would not want to wait a week to 10 days for a policy before you drive your new car home. Your insurance agency can give you a written binder making it legal to drive your car home. The binder also satisfies the insurance requirements of most states' Departments of Motor Vehicles.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Daddo - I will look at your site.....I have bought bikes in the past in the states and brought them back.....used my old plate from canada and got a temporary insurance through my insurance company....had all the original paperwork sent to me so they had all the info. I had a week after I got back to get it all done though which was no problem.

She is a used 2010 black baby......44k and I am getting some work done on it now....just little stuff - fog/running lights - trailer hitch - highway pegs and maybe the front end - triple tree and better springs (maybe) haven't figured that all out yet.

The owner is letting me do payments even...so she will be paid off in May....which was handy. Had a friend go and look at the bike for me too.

here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVJ7GGOk02c&feature=youtu.be

jer
It looks like a great ride jer.

I suggest you check carefully into just slapping on existing plates. It would be horrible to have an accident and then find the plates or insurance is not valid. In most areas, existing plates can't be used if the vehicle has not yet gone through the import process yet and is therefore not deemed to be usable in Canada. I am by no means a laser, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but I have dealt with hundreds of folks importing bikes and many of these issues have come up in the past. This is the first time I have talked with someone importing from the Yukon though.

I look at each bike purchase as coming with a free vacation.

You'll have about a 4,000 mile (6500 KM) trip, give or take, depending upon your exact pickup location so be sure you're well prepared. Is an oil change or are new tires required? Also, if this is your fist Goldwing, take it easy until you get to know the bike. On my first buy-n-ride trip from Oklahoma to Vancouver, BC I got into a corner a little too hot, not knowing the bike's limitations. I scrapped the foot pegs much harder than feeling the maximum lean and almost did some serious damage to my bike with just over 500 miles on it. Be sure to bring along a reasonable tool kit as well - you never know about potential issues with a new-to-you bike. Oh yeah, did the prior owner confirm he had the owner's manual for you to read on your way home?

Wnjoy the ride, it will be one you'll remember for ever.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the heads up bud.....I will be buying privately and I will check into the insurance thing now that I have been out of canada fora about a year now and am now a non-resident too. Will be leaving her in Calgary after the summer vacation as I will be returning to Qatar for the duration of my contract here.

The bike:

All the service has been done recently...oil changes and pretty much new tires the bridgestones......sounds like it's been well cared for. Talked to the guy that did the all balls bearings and he said it was a great bike. I will take it easy until I get her in the groove.....I generally don't drive all the fast as much as I drive long distances. Crank up the tunes and start having fun.

This will be my first song as usual

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWRypqz5-o

can't wait...jer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts