GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip later this year to ride through New England, Canada and down to DC with some friends from Switzerland. They plan on renting bikes, but I'd rather ride my own. Does anyone know of a reputable company that can ship a Goldwing for this ride?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I know riding your bike to meet up, and then tour isn't with you want know or hear, but after finding out the cost and just reminding you that the people that work for the shipper are just doing their job. My father in law worked 50 years in truncking, I would pass on shipping.
I would ride or rent after I got back there. Sorry this isn't what you want, but it's my 2cents!

·
Registered
531 Posts
shipping a wing

I recently bought a bike in Buffalo, NY and then had it shipped to Prince Edward Island, Canada. It was a horror stoory. First, I did not realize that when I booked the shipment I was only dealing with a broker, not the actual trucking company who would be doing the shipment. They told me it would take two weeks maximum but after they turned it over to the trucking company they assigned a maximum delivery date of one month. In spite of numerous phone calls it kept being removed from the shipping manifest and it wound up arriving one day before the end of the 30 days. Also, the shipping contract basically gives you very little rights but covers the shipping company for almost everything. If you want more than $5K insurance you have to pay extra for it. Having said all that, it did arrive without a scratch. Total cost from Buffalo to PEI was about US$1600.00. Also, the bike had to go via their regular route which meant travelling about an extra 1000 miles, in a big circle, to wind up crossing the border about 100 miles from where it started from. It sat in one warehouse about 3 weeks. If you have time and money, it will probably arrive safe and sound. I used a company that allegedly specializes in vehicles but it was delivered to my house in a moving van.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I shipped from Los Angeles to Bangor, Maine with Allied's motorcycle-specific transport, and had no problems other than a flat tire (see below). One of the reasons I chose them was because they are big enough to stand behind their service if something does go wrong.

Like yoyu, I was shipping my bike ahead to do a ride from where it was being delivered. I made arrangements with a shop to accept delivery, and had them inspect the bike when it got there. The only issue was the flat tire, but they were able to take care of that (it was newly installed and the valve was faulty) before I arrived. Hence, no delays in my trip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts