GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I might save somebody the hassle of what I went through when I shipped my wheels for chroming. I spent a full hour carefully packing them and taping and glueing both boxes together. I then dropped by a local store and had them banded with the poly material they are using for banding. There were no less than six bands around the boxes. When I arrived at FedEx, they promptly told me that the boxes would have to be separated. They get many shipments where the two boxes get separated and they are then missing an address on one box. No way was this going to happen to what I was shipping, but it is an across the board rule. So now, I am hoping they both wheels arrive together, as this could cause confusion. To be continued.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Mine were shipped to and returned from CC in seperate boxes................no problems!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check the rates and see why Fedex wanted two separate boxes... A 20 lb box 18x18x4, valued at $250 ships 3 day saver rate from NY to Chicago for $33 per box, $66 for two. Under the separate box rule, the rate is $54.58 if both wheels are in one parcel. In two boxes. Federal hauls the same amount and gets $12 more.

UPS 3 day is cheaper, and UPS ground is WAY cheaper. I would have folded a piece of cardboard around the two and made "one" out of them. Then shipped via UPS Ground for around $24 total.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Total for the two boxes from here in North Fl was $38.54, including $500. insurance. The lady at FedEx did tell me that there was no increase in price for having two seperate boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts