GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Trike, a 2010 GL1800 with the CSC Cobra XL kit. I bought it in California and drove it back to AZ.
The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to be a rough ride on the front end, like it didn't even have any shocks. I took it to my local dealer of choice and wanted to have the Progressive spring inserts installed but the dealer informed me that I already have a modified fork system and he couldn't install the new springs.
Yesterday, I took it out for a ride and when I got on this one particular highway, a fairly rough road, it felt as if I didn't have any shocks at all. The only time the bike seems comfortable enough to ride is when I'm on a decent highway.
I've had two other Goldwings previously and had ridden this highway several times. Yes, it was noticeably rough but NOT as rough as it was on this trike.
I haven't talked to my guy about this yet because he's closed on Mondays.

Is it normal to be a rough ride because of the way the front end is raked out?
Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Just bought my first Trike, a 2010 GL1800 with the CSC Cobra XL kit. I bought it in California and drove it back to AZ.
The first thing I noticed was that it seemed to be a rough ride on the front end, like it didn't even have any shocks. I took it to my local dealer of choice and wanted to have the Progressive spring inserts installed but the dealer informed me that I already have a modified fork system and he couldn't install the new springs.
Yesterday, I took it out for a ride and when I got on this one particular highway, a fairly rough road, it felt as if I didn't have any shocks at all. The only time the bike seems comfortable enough to ride is when I'm on a decent highway.
I've had two other Goldwings previously and had ridden this highway several times. Yes, it was noticeably rough but NOT as rough as it was on this trike.
I haven't talked to my guy about this yet because he's closed on Mondays.

Is it normal to be a rough ride because of the way the front end is raked out?
Any thoughts or suggestions?
I have a 2005 1800 with a 2014 CSC Cobra kit.
The fork tubes are unchanged on a CSC kit so I see no reason that you could not change the springs. The only thing changed for the rake kit is the triple tree.
My forks are stock and have over 70,000 miles. The ride is a little rough as it was on the stock bike.
What front tire and pressure are you using. I use a Michelin Pilot Activ on front and run 38 psi even though 41 is recommended by CSC. I get a noticeably better ride at 38 psi.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I also have a 2010 Goldwing (Roadsmith model) this bike/trike is in excellent condition by the way......... I thought the exactly, the same thing as you did, NO this bike is not smooth like a two wheel machine.. (I also was very disappointed) BUT the more you ride it, the more you'll actually get used to it, and the better you'll like it...............(my opinion only)

Ronnie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2005 1800 with a 2014 CSC Cobra kit.
The fork tubes are unchanged on a CSC kit so I see no reason that you could not change the springs. The only thing changed for the rake kit is the triple tree.
My forks are stock and have over 70,000 miles. The ride is a little rough as it was on the stock bike.
What front tire and pressure are you using. I use a Michelin Pilot Activ on front and run 38 psi even though 41 is recommended by CSC. I get a noticeably better ride at 38 psi.
The front tire, which is brand new is a Michelin Commander III with 40lbs .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have a 2010 Goldwing (Roadsmith model) this bike/trike is in excellent condition by the way......... I thought the exactly, the same thing as you did, NO this bike is not smooth like a two wheel machine.. (I also was very disappointed) BUT the more you ride it, the more you'll actually get used to it, and the better you'll like it...............(my opinion only)

Ronnie
I think you're right Ronnie, I'll get used to it for sure. It's been quite a learning curve for me since I've been on two wheels most of my life.
Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Changing the fork oil may have an impact.

But, I would also ask the dealer to clarify why they won't install the Progressive forks.
If it is due to a change to the triple tree, then you need to look for a different dealer.
The one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Allan

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Hannigan, I know they changed the shocks in the front and it is stiff, but the Trike rides better than two of my cars. Now I know many people including myself feels Hannigan is the best riding Trike out there but it sounds like something is wrong if there is no give to the front end.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts