GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on the old board, but thought I would move it over here also. I would like your opinions of the qualities of the different Shoei helmets.

OK, folks. It's time for a full face helmet. I have tried a Shoei RF900 and it seem to fit just as well as my color matched Shoei Goldwing 3/4 helmet. I tries an Arai and a HJC, but liked the Shoei fit best.

So I've decided on brand, just need to pick a model. I've heard rumors that the X-eleven is light but noisy. I don't need noisy, can't hear well now.

Z11 looks nice, but don't know much about it.

RF900 is being replaced by the RF1000

Do any of you have experience, good or bad, with any of these models? Fit, noise, weight, etc?

Thanks in advance

Lyndal Williams
Fenton, MO

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have the RF900 and like them. However, to be quite honest, these are our first helmets, so can't really compare them with anything else.

I don't know if it matters to you, but there's one thing to keep in mind about flip face helmets: Snell does not certify them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Flip face helmets & SNEL

You're right Paul, they don't certify them. It makes little sense though since they do certify open face helmets.

A flipper may not be as good as a solid full face, but you would think they would offer more protection to your jaw and face than an open face helmet would.

R :?: T

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
The fit between the RF900 and the RF1000 is different. I did not like the fit of the 900 last year when I was looking at them. I ended up buying Arai Signet Gts. Today I tried on the new RF1000 and I love the fit. It fits like my old RF700 did, very comfortable on me. I have over 125,000 using the 700s and was extremely pleased with them. Whatever you buy make sure you get a helmet that fits well. All helmets and heads are not shaped alike.

G

·
0 Posts
Have both...

I like the X11 better. It is a little noiser....but much cooler. Here in Texas that is a plus. You might try some custom ear plugs. Hope this helps. HDL has the best prices on the X11 that I could find.

Ride Safe :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the ZII and like it, but it is not as quiet as I would like. Also, I can touch my chin and lips on the chin bar any time I want, which is no problem unless I have chapped lips or want to put a drink straw or cough drop into my mouth. I also had to mount the microphone from the Air-rider headset to the side of the chin bar because it was so tight. I do however, like the fit and finish of the helmet and also the interior.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts