GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a Shoei x11 helmet and the J & M 584 elite OF headset. For those who tackled this job, how difficult is it to install and what tools were involved? I could send it to Sierra Electronics but it would be almost $100. for the shipping and install! Thanks for any advice! :bow:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have recently purchased a Shoei x11 helmet and the J & M 584 elite OF headset. For those who tackled this job, how difficult is it to install and what tools were involved? I could send it to Sierra Electronics but it would be almost $100. for the shipping and install! Thanks for any advice! :bow:
Here are some picture I did on my RF1000, don't know if they are similar or not...

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Brew, that is some play by play install! Awesome! :bow: I hadn't realized the hard styrofoam came out? Did you use any glue or velcro? Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think the only area that had adhesive was the front of the chin area and that was just a dab of black RVT or something like that.

Step One - Remove cheekpads
- This is pretty easy - they just snap in/out

Step Two - Remove inner foam
- This is not so easy, on the RF1000 turn the helmet over and pull up on the back of the side skirts - there are tabs that will pull out and you might need a little pressure to get it.

- Then, take a butter knife and try to break look the glue that is attaching the front foam to the chin of the helmet (see dark colored glue in pic below)

- Once the front glue is broken loose, you should be able to slowly start pulling the chin foam downward. BE PATIENT, it will slowly come out and you might need a little pressure but it's more important to work it a little at a time. Once you get the chin foam to a certain point, the whole front section will pull out and this is what it looks like:

Step Three - Cut Speaker Holes
- This is what I did, I lined up the speaker to the hard plastic section where I wanted the speaker to go

- I drilled a pilot hole and then a slightly smaller then speaker hole saw to cut the shape of the speaker into the black plastic

- Then I cut, into the foam a little larger from the other side with a hole saw using the pilot hole to guide me, so the speaker fit snug against the back side of the black plastic. Fill in the back with foam and cover with duct tape, I think I used foil duct tape.

Step Four - Cut Hole for Microphone
- Line it up where you want it and start cutting, I made mine fit flush against the chin from the inside

Step Five - Hook up wires
- Some people run the long speaker wire along the back of the helmet, I ran it this time along the front. I used small strips of duct tape to hold the wires in place and foam on the back side of the mic and duct tape.

Step Six - Re-install all foam
- This can be a little taxing so BE PATIENT, dont' force it much. Angle the foam and get the right or left in fist then work the front in and you'll be able to force (JUST A LITTLE) the remaining side in.

Now, I'm sure there are different ways to go about this and some techniques are better than others so the key is to be patient. Also, do this at your own risk, this is how I did my headset install and if you mess up your foam, headset, or helmet I'm not responsible (gotta have a disclaimer huh...)

I may have missed a step or two though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought the Shoei rf1000 came with removeable sections where the speakers would be installed. Also did not think the foam needed to be removed from the shell to install. I am also looking to do the install and it looks a little too much for me.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
For all of the above, that's why I had Sierra Electronics do it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts