GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
It depends on your face/head and the glasses you wear.
It depends on your face/head and the glasses you wear.
I went to Lenscrafters with my helmet, and tried several different glasses. Got two pairs of single-vision glasses (I wear bifocals normally) specifically to wear under my helmet, two different styles with thin temples and smaller lenses. Cost less than $100

·
Registered
638 Posts
Can't comment on the new Neotec, but will say if it's even remotely similar to the original, not worth using. Too heavy, off balance heavy all in front, or all on top depending on if the flip up portion is flipped up or not, horrible distortion through the shield, noisy as all heck. Wear glasses? Forget it, as you have the whole 7lb or whatever helmet pressing them into your nose non-stop. I can say without reserve the Neotec is one of my worst decisions to buy ever and I used it for 200 miles and goodby to that thing, but memory lingers for a long time unfortunately.
There's always an outlier like the above but I've never had a helmet as comfortable as my 4 year old Neotec and the Multitec I wore 5 years before that. The optics are perfectly clear and the sun visor is the proper very dark smoke. I have worn the helmet 10+ hours many, many days and 6 or 7 rides of 1000 miles or more in a day, one 1510 miles on day 1 and 860 on day 2. Super comfortable, balances well on my head/neck, and literally no pull or buffeting when you turn the helmet from side to side in whatever airspeed you are traveling (I have had other bikes with less fairing than the GW). I don't ride with the chinbar up in the breeze...... can't comment on that :/

I have also never had a helmet that flows as much air thru the vents. I wear/wore bifocal glasses comfortably during all of the above. Also wear earplugs 100% of time so every helmet is quiet.

Expensive but worth every penny. I wish I could get another Neotec but I'll move to the Neotec II next year based on riding friends' recommendations.

·
Registered
404 Posts
...I've never had a helmet as comfortable as my 4 year old Neotec ... I have also never had a helmet that flows as much air thru the vents.
Expensive but worth every penny.
Agreed. I love the Neotec so much, I bought a Neotec2.

Airflow is a tricky thing on Goldwings, because the wind protection is so good. In really hot weather, I have to open the chinbar to get more air.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Agreed. I love the Neotec so much, I bought a Neotec2.

Airflow is a tricky thing on Goldwings, because the wind protection is so good. In really hot weather, I have to open the chinbar to get more air.
I run a Madstad down in Florida. That windshield and Baker Hand Wings under the mirrors give adequate air flow to comfortably ride year round. You can ride any speed with the Neotec face shield up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the NeoTec II and SRL setup. It works fine as a solo rider. I have not test it with a passenger or bike to bike. I picked up a packtalk bold duo for a trip with my daughter this summer. Thinking about the Shoei 1200 for that setup.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use the SHOEI NeoTech II helmet with the integrated Sena SRL. I also have installed the Sena Freewire on my 2013 Wing. I can BT my audio, CB, Garmin, phone and have intercom with my wife when she rides on the back and all seems to work flawlessly. Battery life seems to last all riding day. The only day it didn't was when I forgot to charge it the night before and then it went for almost half. The only downside is that you can't charge battery and use at the same time. However, it seems to charge back up fairly quickly. I would like to see this fixed in future iterations AND maybe be able to replace battery when it no longer is able to hold a charge.

I prefer the modular flip-up helmet since it allows for me to get a drink of water without taking it off and provides good protection. Flip down sun visor is great so I don't have to worry about using sunglasses. I wear contacts so fitting regular glasses are not an issue. Don't know about other helmets or communication devices but this setup works for me with no problems, so in MY opinion it works great.

My $0.02 worth (and well worth it! :cool:)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Looking to replace my current helmet to the Neotec2 with SENA SRL Communication System.
What are peoples opinions?
I have used the Shoei 3/4 (RJ series I believe) and it fit me the best of all I have used.
I have the orginal neotech and its the best helmet i have had. I see alot of good and bad in the posts, its up to the individual and how they have their bike set up with looking over or through the windshield. I have an 08 with wires which i like but won't get a new one till the 2021 comes out. I did order the 2x when i bought it and finally ending up to ordering the interior for an xl and it fits perfect, so i know next time to buy a xl one. I think it also depends on whether you wear ear plugs or not. I can not ever ever go without my ear plugs. After you wear them you won't go back. I hope they come out with better speakers/communication system by the time i buy my new one. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The early response that said it was comfortable and heavy is correct. It is amazingly high quality, moderately quiet. The face shield, sun visor, and flip up front are all precise and easy to use. It is better than the Neotec 1 that I put about 40,000 miles on.

Now the SRL is a mixed bag. It is nice not to have anything dangling off your helmet. It works most of the time. The speakers are terrible, and yes, I tried moving them. It works fine for my wife and I. No experience using it in groups as all my old fart friends still have cbs.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
The early response that said it was comfortable and heavy is correct. It is amazingly high quality, moderately quiet. The face shield, sun visor, and flip up front are all precise and easy to use. It is better than the Neotec 1 that I put about 40,000 miles on.

Now the SRL is a mixed bag. It is nice not to have anything dangling off your helmet. It works most of the time. The speakers are terrible, and yes, I tried moving them. It works fine for my wife and I. No experience using it in groups as all my old fart friends still have cbs.
I bought the Sena SRL with my Neotec 2, and I installed it, but I've never used it and probably won't. When I went to pair it to the bike, I thought, "Wait, one of the main reasons I ride is to NOT have people talking to me." So it's still un-configured, and it will probably remain that way.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I bought the Sena SRL with my Neotec 2, and I installed it, but I've never used it and probably won't. When I went to pair it to the bike, I thought, "Wait, one of the main reasons I ride is to NOT have people talking to me." So it's still un-configured, and it will probably remain that way.
Just cuz you connect it to the bike doesn't mean you need to also connect a phone. (and if one is connected, doesn't mean it needs to be used to make or take calls)
Some prefer to use headset (the CFO, on her bike), some prefer bike speakers (me).

But I get what you're sayin'...(y)

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Just cuz you connect it to the bike doesn't mean you need to also connect a phone. (and if one is connected, doesn't mean it needs to be used to make or take calls)
Some prefer to use headset (the CFO, on her bike), some prefer bike speakers (me).

But I get what you're sayin'...(y)
Wouldn't be the first time I missed something important. What's the benefit of connecting it to the bike if I'm not going to use it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have this combination from 1 year. Well impressed from both Neotec 2 and SRL.
The battery of Sena lasts all the day long and remaining charge it's enough for tomorrow too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There's always an outlier like the above but I've never had a helmet as comfortable as my 4 year old Neotec and the Multitec I wore 5 years before that. The optics are perfectly clear and the sun visor is the proper very dark smoke. I have worn the helmet 10+ hours many, many days and 6 or 7 rides of 1000 miles or more in a day, one 1510 miles on day 1 and 860 on day 2. Super comfortable, balances well on my head/neck, and literally no pull or buffeting when you turn the helmet from side to side in whatever airspeed you are traveling (I have had other bikes with less fairing than the GW). I don't ride with the chinbar up in the breeze...... can't comment on that :/

I have also never had a helmet that flows as much air thru the vents. I wear/wore bifocal glasses comfortably during all of the above. Also wear earplugs 100% of time so every helmet is quiet.

Expensive but worth every penny. I wish I could get another Neotec but I'll move to the Neotec II next year based on riding friends' recommendations.
I agree with everything Dave just wrote.
I would also add that I went to light, wire frame glasses and got rid of my resin type frames. It was amazing how much those bows could hide when simply driving straight forward, or doing a head swivel/lane check.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts