GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone found a simple/elegant helmet lock for the Shoei Neotec II on their 18+ 'Wing?

It doesn't appear that Lidlox works with the Neotec's ratchet strap system....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you pass the ADDON ACCESSORIES extension for your Nolan (shown below) through the latch mechanism?

Looking at my Neotec II's now, by doing so, I think this could work for the Lidlox if their extension is no wider than the serrated tab that fits into it the helmet's latch.

Can anyone with a Lidlox and a Neotec II confirm this?

Lidlox's video even mentions (at around 3:03) that their extension fits through helmets (and specifically Nolan's) with a "clasp", which I interpret to mean "latch mechanism."

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Cable through the chin bar will work.

Many out there, similar to this.

Can be done several ways.
Can make into a choker and pin on loop with the pin used for the Honda 'T' handle
OR put the 'T' thru the loop extra loop of the choker
OR pass cable thru chin bar and put 'T' handle thru both loops.

If desired, get a longer cable and also pass thru sleeve of coat.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Thanks!, all very good ideas, but I'm trying to avoid having to use a cable and am hoping the Lidlox extension piece can fit through the Neotec II's latch mechanism.
Still looking on confirmation of this.

Also, for those who do have D-ring helmets and Lidlox setup, when you turn and lock the handlebars for parking, and want to lock 2 helmets, does one of the helmets hit up against the tank shelter?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yamahadrummer, I have a Neotec II and use one of the Lidox helmet extenders (https://lidlox.com/products/3003) and the Helmet Guardian dual lock that mounts on the license plate bracket (see Jefro1 post #7 at https://gl1800riders.com/forums/193-2018-goldwing-board/440933-where-do-you-put-2nd-helmet.html).

I have used this setup last riding season and it worked fine (though only for one helmet using the left-side lock). The only bad thing is the helmet hangs down and the bottom of it will rest on the back of the exhaust pipe. I made a 4" square of thin wood that I put between the bottom of the helmet and the back of the exhaust when I lock the helmet up so there is no chance of helmet damage. I am going to make a new bracket this year (next on my mod list) like Jefro1 did that will put the locks up higher so the helmet won't hang down on the exhaust.

As far as the Lidox helmet extender, I ground the "T" part down on a grinder so it is not so "round" and will fit better against the padding/vinyl of the helmet when you hang the helmet by the extender. If you leave the extender as-is without grinding, I was afraid it might crease and eventually cut the padding/vinyl when it is turned up at a 90 degree when you hang the helmet. I bought the two-pack of extenders just in case I messed up the first one when grinding/fitting it.

I also make sure I lift up the chin strap release when I insert the Lidox extender. I think you could just push it through like you do when you put the strap on, but I did not want to take a chance of possibly messing up the ratchet mechanism.

Sorry I don't have time to post any pics right now, but if I get a chance in the next few days, I will post some. [Update - added some photos of my helmet extension]

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Although I wouldn't ever leave a $1000 dollar Bluetooth helmet sitting on my bike for long periods of time, this works well for me for coffee and lunch breaks while on the road (never thought hanging it from D-rings was a good idea either)......HF for around 6 bucks:

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Although I wouldn't ever leave a $1000 dollar Bluetooth helmet sitting on my bike for long periods of time, this works well for me for coffee and lunch breaks while on the road (never thought hanging it from D-rings was a good idea either)......HF for around 6 bucks:

View attachment 322419

View attachment 322421
Passenger grab handles on 2018 wing are different. They are solid so you can’t pass a cable lock through them as shown in your picture.

:doorag:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
For years I’ve used Nolan helmets with a similar latch. I got a split key-ring about 3/4” - 1” diameter and pass it through the loop in the strap adjacent to the latch. It appears to a solid ring to a casual observer and allows the “T” bar of my hanger to pass through like a “D” ring.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Although I wouldn't ever leave a $1000 dollar Bluetooth helmet sitting on my bike for long periods of time, this works well for me for coffee and lunch breaks while on the road (never thought hanging it from D-rings was a good idea either)......HF for around 6 bucks
I think you are giving yourself a false sense of security with that. There's a reason it only costs $6. Besides being able to cut them fairly easy, you can also open the cheap ones (like the HF) without any tools.

And yes, I was fooled too until this past spring when my grandson accidentally changed the combination on the HF Cable Lock I used on my bicycle when we went on vacation and I had to figure out a way to get it open. Took me less than 1 minute after I knew how to do it. You can bet the bad guys already know how to do it. I threw mine into the trash.

I'd recommend this lock. ( Kryptonite Evolution Mini Integrated 10mm Chain Bicycle Lock)

I have no personal experience with the Kryptonite Evolution, but it is what I will buy the next time I need to take my bike somewhere and lock it. My recommendation comes because of the "LockpickingLawyer" on YouTube

His videos are very good and legit.

Just a heads up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Made from 36 inch plastic coated cable from the hardware store. Size the loops so they are secured to the T handle lock.

That’s my solution until something better comes along.

I also carry a combo lock for helmets without chin bars if I want them locked up.

I do like the new trunk lid design that hinges higher that allows opening the trunk with a helmet or duffle bag on the seat.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts