GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Just bought a new Shoei QWEST full face helmet. I've worn it for 2 rides for about 1 hour. This helmet is so much quieter and no helmet buffeting at highway speeds. It is the correct size according to my measured noggin, however its still snug in the cheeks and snug overall.

How much will the shoei pads "break-in" to give a more comfortable fit? or am I just stuck with this thing squeezing my melon. Theories on break-in period for helmets?

·
Registered
812 Posts
All of my helmets are snug in the cheeks and snug overall. I think they are supposed to be that way. I get no soreness from riding with them on day after day. I have one Shoei and 2 Arai's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been told that a helmet should always be snug but not uncomfortable, once they become a loose fit they don't work as well if you bounce on the riding surface

And the cheek pads should exert enough pressure -- that if you were to chew gum with it on, you risk biting the inside of your cheeks.

Hope that makes sense

·
Registered
440 Posts
Cheek pads

You can buy smaller cheek pads if you now have the standard ones in it. I did and it helped. If I remember right, there are about 3 different size cheek pads available that just snap in and out.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I have a Qwest and noticed the same thing when I bought mine. Much snugger than the same size Shoei RF1000's I had before. I don't know if it broke in or I just got used to it, but after a couple of rides it didn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All:

Just bought a new Shoei QWEST full face helmet. I've worn it for 2 rides for about 1 hour. This helmet is so much quieter and no helmet buffeting at highway speeds. It is the correct size according to my measured noggin, however its still snug in the cheeks and snug overall.

How much will the shoei pads "break-in" to give a more comfortable fit? or am I just stuck with this thing squeezing my melon. Theories on break-in period for helmets?
Yes it will break in after about 4-8 hours with the cheek and forehead pads loosening up during that period. My wife and I went through the same experience. Her helmet took about 6 months after moderate riding time. Patience...it will happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I've been told that a helmet should always be snug but not uncomfortable, once they become a loose fit they don't work as well if you bounce on the riding surface

And the cheek pads should exert enough pressure -- that if you were to chew gum with it on, you risk biting the inside of your cheeks.

Hope that makes sense
Thanks for the helpful feedback. I did not know about the gum chewing thing.... Guess I'll have to stop chewing bubble gum while I'm riding :tongue: because my checkpads are that tight.

I also agree with your first statement, that once a helmet becomes loose they won't provide the really good crash protection. My arai Quantum II is like that now. I'm so used to the super comfy fit of the worn arai helmet.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it will break in after about 4-8 hours with the cheek and forehead pads loosening up during that period. My wife and I went through the same experience. Her helmet took about 6 months after moderate riding time. Patience...it will happen.
Thanks for the feedback... I'm just used to a really comfortable helmet, but the Shoei is really a great helmet, so I'll just have to break it in over time

·
Registered
19,398 Posts
You can buy smaller cheek pads if you now have the standard ones in it. I did and it helped. If I remember right, there are about 3 different size cheek pads available that just snap in and out.

I would buy the next sise cheek pad down

·
Registered
75 Posts
Helment break in

This may sound silly but put it on while watching tv at home or even put it on and take a nap or sleep in it overnight. I bought different cheek pads for mine (arai).

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My RF1000 took about 10-12 hours for the pads to start forming up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This may sound silly but put it on while watching tv at home or even put it on and take a nap or sleep in it overnight. I bought different cheek pads for mine (arai).
I just pushed a football inside helmet until it got snug. Did this for about a week or so while not using helmet. I'd rather football absorb tightness instead of my head during break in period. :banghead:

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I've got it on right now as I'm watching my Cubs get beat up again by the brewers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts