GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

Going to be replacing my Arai Quantum II helmet in the next 2 weeks. I am looking for the quietest Full Face helmet (not modular or flip) I can find. Anyone have experience with either the Qwest or RX-Q?... others?

Thanks

·
Registered
440 Posts
Quest

I've been using a Quest for the past couple of months. It repalced a Shoei Multitec. I like both helmets, but the Quest is a little more comfortable, quieter and less affected by the wind buffeting. I always felt like I was fight the mic boom on the Multitec. I had a J&M headset installed with the mic in the chin guard. That didn't work, so I built up a mount from foam rubber that moved the mic closer to my mouth and that worked perfectly. With the mic setting in a hole in the chin bar it had no volume and sounded like it was in a tunnel. The Quest might be a little warmer when setting still on a real hot day even with the sheild up. I've never had the perfect helmet, but for now the Quest is the one I'm going to use.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have an Arai RX-Q as well as an Arai Profile. The Profile fits my head better so the Q may be more like your Quantum. I do think the helmet is pretty quiet but then so has been my Profile and my Shoei's. When I ride my Concours, there is naturally more wind noise then while on the Wing.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My elongated noggin dictates the need of an Arai Profile helmet. If I had a rounder head it would be a Shoei for me because of the ease of changing face shields.
Changing shield on an Arai is a pain in the butt.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Qwest. Before it I had been wearing a couple of Shoei RF1000's - which were the quietest helmet I had ever worn (and much quieter than the Arai Quantum II I had). The Quest is noticeably quieter than the RF1000. And every review I've read say it's the quietest helmet they have ever worn.

Just to clarify, for a while I had the Quantum II and the RF1000. I rode my FJR at the time (which had a very low windshield on it) for a while with the RF1000. Then just for grins I put the Quantum II on and went for a ride. After about two miles I turned around and went home and put the Shoei back on. The Quantum II is the loudest helmet I've ever worn.
I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit

·
Registered
544 Posts
I recently went from a Quantum II to an RX-Q and I definitely think the RX-Q is quieter. If the top front vents are open there is some additional noise so I usually keep mine closed. I had an RF-1000 prior to the Quantum II and liked the Aria better. The RX-Q cheek pads seemed to be a lot thicker than the Quantum II so I would try it on before you buy it.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I agree with yours assessment of the Quantum II loudness factor. Mine also is awful and I get a lot of helmet buffeting. The thing that I liked about the Arai, was the fit and feel of the interior. Very high quality helmet.

I'll have to try both the RF-Q and the Qwest for fit
As a heads up (get it? :joke:) the Qwest does fit much more snugly than the other helmets I've had of the same size. I think that is part of how they make it quieter. At first I was mildly concerned, but I don't even notice it now. But I do realize that it's all dependent upon your head.

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
Go with the helmet that fits YOUR head the best

1 - 9 of 9 Posts