GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading some helmet articles and the new version of the Shoie modular is supposed to be lighter, quieter, and more airodynamic. Anyone have input?

·
Registered
149 Posts
shoei modular helmet.

I am suppose to be recieving my new modular helmet tomorrow and will be have the headset installed this coming weekend and will be able to give you a full report later this weekend.

·
Registered
121 Posts
same here, should have mine this week too, already have my j&m headset to put in, tried one on at the cycle show in frt. worth, was really impressed with fit and finish, will also post about function.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Re: shoei modular helmet.

kenward said:
I am suppose to be recieving my new modular helmet tomorrow and will be have the headset installed this coming weekend and will be able to give you a full report later this weekend.
Are you bringing it to the Crab Shack lunch?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Here is a quick copy of a evaluation report, I am also looking for helmets

SHOEI SYNCROTEC, $415

Shoei's modular entry offers the firm's excellent quick-change shield system (just deploy a lever on each side and pop the shield off) with a cam lever to unseal the shield for a bit more airflow. The face section's steel latching mechanism opens with a single control located on the outside center of the chinbar. It was slightly clumsy to operate with heavy gloves but seems unlikely to open unintentionally. It takes a bit of pressure to lift it to full open, but it closes and latches very smoothly. You can remove the helmet with the face section latched, but it is less awkward and painful just to open it. The face section is prominent, has large, unsightly pivot screws and is not integrated into the fiberglass shell, although the finish quality is excellent. A smallish brow vent offers little airflow and is slightly awkward to deploy because of its small control nubbin. The same sort of puny control operates the chinbar vent, which, with a large intake and elaborate four-point exhausts, is useful and effectively defogs the shield. There is also a small breath deflector. The eyeport is large, and the faceshield's optics, operation and seal are excellent.

The helmet fastens easily with D-rings, and a somewhat awkward clip on the strap's end can be used to prevent the strap from flapping. The interior is as nice as any here. Noise levels and fit comfort were above average for most riders, and one commented about its weight. It got a B average rating. With heavy force, the Syncrotec rolled off the head of our roll-off-prone rider, but it didn't roll off the standard headform in lab testing. It stood out in our protection-performance testing, with solid impact scores all around. Street prices run under $370.

SHOEI HELMETS
Shoei Helmet Corp.
3002 Dow, Suite 128
Tustin, CA 92780
(714) 730-0941
Shoei-Helmets.com

·
Registered
378 Posts
You might want to look at this one.
Shoei Multitec

·