GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been saying this for years. If you are running a CT, and a professional tire shop installed it, and something happens, you can sue that shop, and sue them big. A person would only have to claim that the CT delayed reaction time by a millisecond. This article apparently came from Motorcycle Consumer News January 2020 issue. In our court system, professionals are held to a higher standard. To me this law suit is over due.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I've been saying this for years. If you are running a CT, and a professional tire shop installed it, and something happens, you can sue that shop, and sue them big.
Just want to CLEARLY point out THERE IS NOTHING in article saying CAR TIRE. Could VERY WELL be a MC tire that was not approved for the RIM.

And, the article says even if a "friend" mounts the tire, that "friend" could be held liable. So "professionals" may or may not be held to a higher standard.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My reading of the article, including the defendant's statement, says he mounted a tubeless tire on a laced rim that had specific instructions for mounting such tires, and he didn't follow the rim manufacturer's recommendation/caution. Thus, he did not install the tires in the recommended manner and is responsible for any poor outcome as he (the expert) didn't follow the instructions. Seems pretty clear.

I know my tire guy will no longer install tires not purchased from him due to his insurance company telling him they would not cover him if the tire failed and he was sued.

"One lawyer in a town goes broke. Two lawyers in a town both get rich."

jdg

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I've been saying this for years. If you are running a CT, and a professional tire shop installed it, and something happens, you can sue that shop, and sue them big. A person would only have to claim that the CT delayed reaction time by a millisecond. This article apparently came from Motorcycle Consumer News January 2020 issue. In our court system, professionals are held to a higher standard. To me this law suit is over due.
I would hope no one would attempt to file any type of Law suite becaue of a Ct tire mounted. There has never been an issue on this forum that I know of, quite the contrary, i have heard stories along with mine that has saved us from the other tire issues.

·
Registered
674 Posts
--

There is no mention of a CT being used. So we don't know what tires they were. However, I would think that the defendant's lawyers would be remiss if they did not bring up the road tested trials and testamony present on many websites for years stating the overwhelming safety of CTs if they were involved. It would be hard to find that type of testamony on any other type of tire--even any MC tire. That is presuming there was some fault of the tire itself. It's always possible that the dealer in this case did a sloppy job in the installation. I have had dealers do some goof-ups on me before. They had nothing to do with the type of tire.

I personally have had only one complete blowout and that was on a MC tire.

--

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I truly believe that sooner or later there is going to be a court case about an incident occurring involving car tire use liability that's going to create a huge risk issue for those using them. History of successful use will be irrelevant and some unfortunate sole is going to be hung out to dry legally.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I truly believe that sooner or later there is going to be a court case about an incident occurring involving car tire use liability that's going to create a huge risk issue for those using them. History of successful use will be irrelevant and some unfortunate sole is going to be hung out to dry legally.
You are so correct, especially since the repair industry, or tire mounting industry, is mainly regulated by law suits. Do something wrong, get sued. Any attorney will drool to get such a case. The other factor is that tires are an engineered product. That means their construction is based on years of research and science and not someones "feelings." "My customers' tell me that they 'feel' safer because they ride on a CT" will only weaken ones defense.

More importantly, an over worked judge will have little tolerance for irrelevant arguments of such.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Meh. Until it happens, all this commentary is biased opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts