GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the battery in for 2 weeks and the battery bug is still only showing 37%. i unhook it and started it over showing 100% and after the first start it goes back down and around that 37%. I even charged it up with a 1.5 amp charger over night to see if that change the cranks. Just wondering if this is happing with anybody else. It starts great and fast.:shrug:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Battery bug measures the amount of usable power the battery has and gives it in a percentage. When you unhook it, it goes back to 100% until it gets to measure under a load. If it goes back down the same reading, your battery may be going bad, even if it is new. Even new batteries can be defective. Mine finally went down to 27% a few weeks ago and hesitated starting up the bike. I put a new battery that I had bought year ago (but didn't activate it). I followed the instruction to the letter in conditioning the battery. Hooked up the Battery bug and it read 100% and has not moved since.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Mine acts about the same. The battery bug was made with lead acid batteries in mind, and it doesn't take into account the voltage drop that lithuim batteries experience due to the passivation layer that builds up in them at rest. Even though the battery is fine and has plenty of cranking power, due to the voltage drop on the first start of the day, it will make the battery bug read low. Cooler temps also seem to cause the lithium batteries to show a voltage drop on the first few starts of the day. Its just the nature of the beast with these new technology batteries.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured it was the technology batteries we're using. My son's is doing the same too. Just nothing to worry about until it starts to drop from its 37%. Which shouldn't be for a long time.

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
I think you'll find as the ambient temps warm up, it will get better. Mine is also getting a bit better with use.

My original 18 amp/hour Shorai actually seemed to drop less voltage than my new 27 amp/hour does. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's the way the larger one is made from two batteries essentially strapped together with the buss bar at the rear.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think you'll find as the ambient temps warm up, it will get better. Mine is also getting a bit better with use.
I'll stick with stock. Jut installed. Anybody want the old one they are welcome to it. I will just carry it in the trailer for a spare.

·
Registered
26 Posts

My original 18 amp/hour Shorai actually seemed to drop less voltage than my new 27 amp/hour does. I'm not sure why, but maybe it's the way the larger one is made from two batteries essentially strapped together with the buss bar at the rear.
Hello Fred,
Would you foresee any bad consequences with the use of the "Ultimate" version (is there such a thing as "too much cold cranking amps")? 36Ah 12V eq, "L" polarity, Case Type 3 LFX36L3-BS12 - GL1800 540 Cold Cranking Amps Ultimate Performance Shorai Larger Housing High Output Lithium Non Acid motorcycle battery offers 540 strong cranking performance and long lifespan. GL1800 Gold Wing battery is 14.25 Lbs. lighter than the lead-acid YTX20L-BS. This larger & more powerful battery fits same as stock battery without modification.

Thank you for your mind share.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts