GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my gold strike saddle bag lights became unstuck and fell off the bike while i was riding on the highway. I didn't notice until i got home and all that was left was a stripped bare wire hanging from my saddle bag. This caused a short circuit in the goldstrike wiring harness which in turn burned the turn signal on my right rear tail light. I was able to diagnose this over the phone with the help of Lewis Preston of Electrical connection. Since the new tail lights are all integrated solid state LED lights its impossible to repair the tail light or replace the bulbs. So now i have to purchase an entirely new right tail light (YAY!) in addition to a new gold strike wiring harness extension. bottom line be careful what electrical accessories you install because any short can damage some pretty expensive components.

·
Registered
222 Posts
one of my gold strike saddle bag lights became unstuck and fell off the bike while i was riding on the highway. I didn't notice until i got home and all that was left was a stripped bare wire hanging from my saddle bag. This caused a short circuit in the goldstrike wiring harness which in turn burned the turn signal on my right rear tail light. I was able to diagnose this over the phone with the help of Lewis Preston of Electrical connection. Since the new tail lights are all integrated solid state LED lights its impossible to repair the tail light or replace the bulbs. So now i have to purchase an entirely new right tail light (YAY!) in addition to a new gold strike wiring harness extension. bottom line be careful what electrical accessories you install because any short can damage some pretty expensive components.
You can get the tail light assembly through partzilla for about $240. I had to by 2 of them and most of the other places wanted $300+

·
Registered
612 Posts
When you go to replace the light assembly prep the area of the adhesive pad with this for better bonding!

Oh, if you used a polymer polish, clean-cleAn-clean!!!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3m+prime...888319&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8eskn2zgip_b

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
When you go to replace the light assembly prep the area of the adhesive pad with this for better bonding!

Oh, if you used a polymer polish, clean-cleAn-clean!!!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3m+prime...888319&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_8eskn2zgip_b

Learned that the hard way. All i used was alcohol

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be glad you didn't burn out the rear control unit.
Fred on Lewis suggestion i swapped the plug under the seat to the opposite side and the turn signal for the left light worked when i turned on the right turn signal. This leads me to believe its the light and not the control unit. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
With this you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
468 Posts
To the OP have you contacted Gold Strike yet?
Have you given them the details and chance to respond?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts