GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this board and it will take me a little while to find my way around, but I was wondering if I could create a short-cut for this site on my desktop. I tried importing function but it will only go to my Yahoo Bookmarks.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
385 Posts
quickie way to gl1800 site

I set my computer so that when I open the web browser it opens on gthe GL1800riders homepage all of the time. Can't get quicker than that, especially since I am on cable where there is no waiting to connect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, Bryansong, just like Goliath said: Just make the GL1800 Board your "Home Page" and it will open to this location all the time. Here's how to do that:

While you are on the internet and at the GL1800Riders website, click on Tools>Internet Options and make sure you have the "General" tab selected. In the first little dialog box at the top, you will see "Home Page - You can change which page to use for your home page." The GL1800Riders website will automatically appear in the Address line if you are on this website at that time. Click on "Use Current" which you will see just below the Address line, then click "Apply" in the bottom right-hand corner. Then click OK, and you will be all set. The next time you open your web browser, you will automatically be taken straight to the GL1800Riders website.

All of the internet service providers have it set up so that THEIR website is your homepage by default, but there is no reason you cannot change that to any other website you prefer. The first thing I did was change my default to this site. Ain't life grand??

Jami Jamison - Corona, CA
'02 Pearl Orange (2 of them!) :eek:w1: :eek:w1:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Save it

Once the page comes up ? Save it in your favorites. Right click on the page and select (save as favorite then you can get to the opening page anytime or anywhere you are. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jami said:
Yeah, Bryansong, just like Goliath said: Just make the GL1800 Board your "Home Page" and it will open to this location all the time. Here's how to do that:

While you are on the internet and at the GL1800Riders website, click on Tools>Internet Options and make sure you have the "General" tab selected. In the first little dialog box at the top, you will see "Home Page - You can change which page to use for your home page." The GL1800Riders website will automatically appear in the Address line if you are on this website at that time. Click on "Use Current" which you will see just below the Address line, then click "Apply" in the bottom right-hand corner. Then click OK, and you will be all set. The next time you open your web browser, you will automatically be taken straight to the GL1800Riders website.

All of the internet service providers have it set up so that THEIR website is your homepage by default, but there is no reason you cannot change that to any other website you prefer. The first thing I did was change my default to this site. Ain't life grand??

Jami Jamison - Corona, CA
'02 Pearl Orange (2 of them!) :eek:w1: :eek:w1:
I like your idea but I have to assume that my wife and daughters won't want to go to this board. I do have this saved to a bookmark which really not a problem to use, but I just thought that it would be nice to have a short-cut.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bryan, Highlight the url in the address bar at the top of your browser when you are on the page that you want the browser to go to.

Place your cursor over the internet explorer icon at the beginning of the highlighted address.

Click and drag this to where you want it on your desktop. Everytime you double click it, your browser will open to that address.

This is assuming your using internet explorer on a Winblows box. It works the same for a Mac except you don't have to grab the icon just grab anywhere on the highlighted text. .... Rob........

Actually after checking it out I see you don't even need to highlight the text at all.... just grab the icon at the beginning of the address bar and drag away

·
Registered
175 Posts
bryansong said:
I'm new to this board and it will take me a little while to find my way around, but I was wondering if I could create a short-cut for this site on my desktop. I tried importing function but it will only go to my Yahoo Bookmarks.

Any suggestions?
To creat at short cut on desk top. When you have the home page for this site up right click on the page, you will see an option in the pop up box to creat a short cut. Select it and another pop up will say creat on desk top select yes. Your done, you now have a short cut on your desk top.

Panther

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob Eddy (SE Ohio) said:
Bryan, Highlight the url in the address bar at the top of your browser when you are on the page that you want the browser to go to.

Place your cursor over the internet explorer icon at the beginning of the highlighted address.

Click and drag this to where you want it on your desktop. Everytime you double click it, your browser will open to that address.

This is assuming your using internet explorer on a Winblows box. It works the same for a Mac except you don't have to grab the icon just grab anywhere on the highlighted text. .... Rob........

Actually after checking it out I see you don't even need to highlight the text at all.... just grab the icon at the beginning of the address bar and drag away
That's interesting! Yet another problem, I use the Yahoo brouser that came with my DSL connection. I removed my internet Explorer icon from the desktop because sometime/somehow I loaded another brouser on top of it from some thing called I-lookup and have tried everything I know to remove it but it just keeps comming back. At the time I had my firewall disabled (for system upgrades) and didn't know how to re-enable it. Thats when it got me.
Now, trying what you had me try must be a function of Internet Explorer because it tries to use that brouser. I think maybe some day I'm just get a new computer and start all over.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Panther Ga. said:
bryansong said:

Any suggestions?
To creat at short cut on desk top. When you have the home page for this site up right click on the page, you will see an option in the pop up box to creat a short cut. Select it and another pop up will say creat on desk top select yes. Your done, you now have a short cut on your desk top.

Panther
Unfortunately that doesn work with this brouser. It just gives me the option to add to bookmarks. My brouser doesnt have Favorites. If I can't get this figured out its really no big deal. Thanks!

Bryansong

·
Registered
228 Posts
In internet Explorer Just grab and drag the e in the very top left hand corner of Internet explorer to your desktop that's all that's needed.

In yahoo Browser from Yahoo DSL go to GL1800Riders.com at the top of the page in the banner that says GL1800riders Message board do the same with the banner. it will paste a short cut on your desktop.
That is with XP not sure about other OS's

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys I'm still working on it

I'm still trying to get these bugs worked out. I purchased that free software and I still have the same i-lookup deal. I have sent them an email and am hoping I can get it fixed. Otherwise I just wasted $29.95
Bryansong

1 - 12 of 12 Posts