GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me who owns a MT if the filler nut on the rear end is suppose to extend out a tread or two . Or should it be flush with the nub that it gets screwed into. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
That is a Yes answer ???;) I have seen them flush, and just "above flush" or a thread or so high. The first one I had; the plug was a square nut type, and the one I have now is the square "inny" as opposed to the nut. If it isn't leaking, it is OK. Don't over tighten it either, they are some times a bare to back out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks George. The reason I asked was I took mine out on level ground and a few ounces poured out of it. So when I rushed to get it back in I didn't remember if it was flush or not. I haven't ridding it ( a little to cold for us ) yet but I but I do find in a day or two a very slight moisture around the bottom of the tread. Mine is an inner allen hex. I am assuming there is still to much in there and that is why I am seeing this. Would you agree with that theory. Or just take it off again and wrap some teflon tape over the treads? What do you think.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
It should be just oozing out over the threads a tiny bit, but what you have is good or right. Rear end oil seems to be like airplane oil, one drop looks like a gallon :shock:
Keep an eye on it to see if it reseals, or give it another tug to see if it is tight. I know that on an Auto I have found them finger tight :?: :!: and not be leaking. I wipe mind down a dozen times, and it still looks wet.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.