GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help - Guys I have an 08 Wing, with stock windshield with Vent.
I can't look over it even if it's at it's lowest point. I'm 5'8" I would prefer to be looking over it slightly especially in the rain.

A few concerns:
How much is it going to affect my passenger if I buy a lower sporty windshield re: buffetting. Currently she complains somedays how much
she gets moved around back there.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement shield?

Any help of suggestions/links would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
887 Posts
It will be real bad for the co-rider, but they do sell a sport shield, can't remember who off hand, or you can cut yours down
(European shield) I believe

Install a wiper on it some bucks for that, but you will keep the co-rider happy........

·
Registered
137 Posts
Windshield

I'm 5'8, 29" inseam; it's time to replace my stock '04 windshield so I thought I'd cut it down for summer time riding before ordering a new one this fall. Yesterday I cut 4" off and love it but it does increase the wind noise when in the lowest position, raise it all the way up and it's almost like I didn't cut any off. I'd bet in the lowest position my wife wouldn't like it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm 5'9" and have the same problem. On a recent trip we ran in to some fog that immediately clouded the windshield and I was basicly standing on the pegs to see over it. I ordered a F4 sport shield with vent that is 2" lower than stock but essentialy the same shape. I'll let you know how it works when I get it installed. As for the buffeting, my wife complained as well and on the advice of more experienced wingers I installed some Baker hand wings and problem solved.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wind bender youll love it

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
They recommend the windshield top is just about mouth/nose level to prevent or reduce buffeting. I notice when I lower mine to about neck level, the buffeting is bad.

As far as the passenger, I wouldn't think it wouldn't may much different if you use a shorter windshield or cut that one down a few inches. It might actually reduce the passenger's buffeting by move her head higher out of buffeting zone. A full face helmet if she doesn't have one would make for a lot nicer ride.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I'm 5'8, 29" inseam; it's time to replace my stock '04 windshield so I thought I'd cut it down for summer time riding before ordering a new one this fall. Yesterday I cut 4" off and love it but it does increase the wind noise when in the lowest position, raise it all the way up and it's almost like I didn't cut any off. I'd bet in the lowest position my wife wouldn't like it.
:agree: Try it before spending $$$.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I shorter than you by at least two inches and see way over mine. Something ain't right.
I've wondered about that in the past. I am 5'7" and can see over my stock or V-Stream in the first 3 positions. When in the 3rd position it is right in the middle of my vision. Do some of you ride in a slouched position? I sit up straight and see way over the shields.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It depends on where you carry your height. Some folks have taller torsos than others. Me, I have a short torso and at 5'6" have to sit VERY rigidly straight to see over it in the rain at the lowest setting.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am 5'8" with a 29" inseam also, I must sit tall to see over stock shield also. My wife also complained of wind hammering on full face helmet even after Baker wings (all wings feet leg lower upper and hand). I purchased the Laminar lip. It really smoothed the air out for both of us on the helmets. It does take experimenting. For example at level with the stock in rain and into the setting sun, and the halfway above the stock on sunny days. But it does smooth the air even following semis and other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Baileys make some very nice windshields...and they still adjust up and down..I put an 8 inch on mine because i like the wind in the face...At night when it cools down I can move it up about 5 inches..Up around 13 inches still very easy to see over and still get some wind....Plus they make the sport look real sporty...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I am 5'4" and can't see over anything !! I bought a Tulsa Sport windshield and can see over it just fine...It does buffet me some ..... but if I raise it a little the buffetting stops and it gets quiet behind. I rarely carry a passenger and like the feel of being on a motorcycle rather than in a car :p In the rain I can put it up and get protected......joy

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am 5'8 with a 29' inseam and could not see over the stock windshields or the memphis shades that my 1800 had when I bought it. I ordered a Cee Bailey -1 inch windshield and installed it last week. Have to say I am surprised by how nice it is. Very clear to see through and have no problems seeing over it. In fact I raised it up 1 notch and can still see over it.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have a Wind Bender that I bought used a few years ago. Never quite the right height. Took it to a window guy(glazier). He cut 2" off the top. Did a great job. Love it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts