GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, (and gals),
I've got a strange one for ya here. Has anybody heard of installing, permanent or other wise, ( a portable?) short wave radio? My wife really enjoys this and would really like to have one on board. Just independent, no input or out put from me. This would obviously include antenna info.
Thanks a bunch, I would sincerely appreciate any input.
Steve

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think some of the Hams have installed 2 way HF radios. This would be the same concept. Wingman26 may have installed one. I have never checked the ignition noise but this could be a major problem. If you have a radio connect it through the AUX jack and see what happens. I have never understood why SW isn't included in all auto radios. I would use it exclusivly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've not done this, but I have some thoughts to share.

If I were to do this, I'd want the CB installed, or at least the filters that come with it, to surpress any vehicle RF noise. Then, I'd want to run it through the AUX input, to listen to it through headsets. The reasons for this? 1. The audio would mute when the CB was keyed, to prevent blasting ears off :) and 2. It would be a lot easier to hear at speed. The disadvantage is that you'd both hear it, and you may not want to.

For an antenna, you would have choice of a luggage rack mounted antenna on top of the trunk, or a hitch mounted antenna, or using the little whip that is built into the portable SW radio. When it comes to antenna, bigger is better, of course, but it depends on how involved you want to get.

Ruben
Naples, FL

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are in-dash SW radios available for cages but they wouldn't work well for a bike. There are a number of portable wideband receivers listed at: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr.html.
They could be easily mounted on a bike, but the controls are small and tuning would be a challenge.

A good mobile antenna would be the Item #AUT from C. Crane Company, http://www.ccrane.com.

·
Registered
252 Posts
HAm Radios / SW radios

There are multiple radios available for permanent installation or for HT (Handy Talkie) radios.

Here are some thoughts:
If you want a permanent install, you should consider a HAm with a detachable face plate. Many of us have installed the base in the trunk or in the saddle bags and then run a wire to the detachable face that can be velcro-ed to the dash.

I preferred to use a hand held unit. So I installed the FRS set wiring harness that Kennedy Technologies sells for a $150. I made a bracket for my HT on my handlebars and just hook it up to the Kennedy Tech plugs and wired in power supply. It works great, All sound and transmitions go through the Wing's intercom.

I use the pre-existing PTT button on the wing and all the sound comes through my J & M headset. I also use the J & M Microphone. With this solution I am also able to hook up a cobra hand held CB or a 2-way family radio.

For more information go to http://www.ba-marc.org/

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you want a permanent install, you should consider a Ham with a detachable face plate. Many of us have installed the base in the trunk or in the saddle bags and then run a wire to the detachable face that can be velcro-ed to the dash.
If he buys a Ham radio he's going to be paying for a transmit function he doesn't need. The operating instructions are also going to be more complex for a Ham radio. I think a "receive only" radio is the best option. I do like the detachable face plate idea though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts