GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dropped a nut into the engine area while changing my air filter. Took the airbox off to expose the throttle body and top of engine. Moved wires around a bit while looking for lost nut. Found it, put bike back together and now three things have happened. 1. The radiator fans won't come on while idling and coolant gets over normal running temperature. 2. when riding the bike, for no reason, the gauges all go to zero on the dash, the dash lights go out and the tail lights go out. It burns out the 20 amp fuse for meter/illumination. 3. for no reason the engine will start missing, running very rough, and will barely idle at 300 rpm and then for no reason will start running properly again. I took the bike apart again to see if any connectors were loose or unplugged under the airbox. Everything looks perfectly fine. I can't find the problems. I cant make any of these problems happen by wiggling wires, etc. I need some guidance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
I can't help with the electrical or heating issues, but as to running, take a look at the fuel lines and tank vent tube. If any of those are pinched, fuel won't flow correctly and the fuel tank may not vent properly. A pinched vent will cause running issues quickly.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
i dropped a nut into the engine area while changing my air filter. Took the airbox off to expose the throttle body and top of engine. Moved wires around a bit while looking for lost nut. Found it, put bike back together and now three things have happened. 1. The radiator fans won't come on while idling and coolant gets over normal running temperature. 2. when riding the bike, for no reason, the gauges all go to zero on the dash, the dash lights go out and the tail lights go out. It burns out the 20 amp fuse for meter/illumination. 3. for no reason the engine will start missing, running very rough, and will barely idle at 300 rpm and then for no reason will start running properly again. I took the bike apart again to see if any connectors were loose or unplugged under the airbox. Everything looks perfectly fine. I can't find the problems. I cant make any of these problems happen by wiggling wires, etc. I need some guidance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave
Dropped a nut while sitting on it, did you have any underwear on. LOL

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,376 Posts
Double check the ECM harness plugs for bent pins and make sure they are fully seated. Also take a look at my sticky about C25, a bad connection here can cause lots of intermittent issues.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/420969-nice-know-stuff-c5-c25.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
techdude2000...thanks so much for this idea to check. Also, would C10 and C11 possibly be an issue? They are supposed to be orange and to the left of the throttle body, but i can't find them. Thanks, Dave

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,376 Posts
techdude2000...thanks so much for this idea to check. Also, would C10 and C11 possibly be an issue? They are supposed to be orange and to the left of the throttle body, but i can't find them. Thanks, Dave
It won’t hurt to check them, they sometimes hide under the frame rail and occasionally are on the outside of it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Techdude2000! I found the problem and fixed it!

I checked and cleaned C25, but it didn't look bad. But after pouring over the ETM last night (you made me think that i should look closer at it) and you telling me where to find C10 and 11, i took off the caps of both of them, and there before my eyes, corrosion on 4 pins! Bad corrosion. I took the connectors apart, sanded and cleaned the jumpers, assembled, and OMG... my problems are gone! I have been searching for this answer for over a week. So I thank you for making me think about junction connectors. i never would have look at them without you mentioning it.

Dave

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,376 Posts
Techdude2000! I found the problem and fixed it!

I checked and cleaned C25, but it didn't look bad. But after pouring over the ETM last night (you made me think that i should look closer at it) and you telling me where to find C10 and 11, i took off the caps of both of them, and there before my eyes, corrosion on 4 pins! Bad corrosion. I took the connectors apart, sanded and cleaned the jumpers, assembled, and OMG... my problems are gone! I have been searching for this answer for over a week. So I thank you for making me think about junction connectors. i never would have look at them without you mentioning it.

Dave
Great! Glad you found it. :grin2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts