GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does there ever come a time when one should drain and replace their engine coolant? Or can you just keep the same coolant in there forever and just maintain the level?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
YES, REFER TO YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Coolant looses certain properties over time. With the aluminum engine blocks, seems most manufacturers recommend every two years. Just like brake fluids absorb water over time, usual intervals is about two years. Takes a lot of coolant changes to equal one replaced water pump.

I usually do mine every winter, and it give me a chance to really look the bike over for loose bolts, missing items, frayed wires, leaks, whatever. In the scheme of things, the cost of a few quarts of fluids does not overload the applecart.

Just do whatever your comfort level is. Honda says two years.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Cooleant is a liquid that does not only transfer the heat from the engine to the radiator but also includes stuff like corrosion inhibitors (for those metal pipes). These additives will deter over time and thus it needs to be replaced just like any other fluid.

Honda states a 2 year lifetime for the cooleant. It's not a good idea to extend this period significantly.

Reiner

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.
I figured there was a replacement interval... I will do it this winter.

Replies to posts like this one really make me scratch my head and ask WTF!!
mudbug said:
YES, REFER TO YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.
If I had the owners manual with me, then I probabably wouldn't post the question now, would I? The manual is never going to give you the collective experience and knowledge of some of the more intelligent members of this forum.

I ask TWO questions in my post, and your answer is "yes". :shock: :lol: Do you walk to school or carry your lunch? Is it hotter in the summer than it is in the kitchen? Thanks anyway for the attempt.

PHEW!!! :?: :?: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

8)

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Thus making the above post superfluous.....as is this one......

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
i am not all knowing when you asked you did not say I do not have and owners manual. Yes lots of folks have one and still ask the board questions that really should only be answered with the manufacturers data.
Sorry I made you cuss but I was only giving you the easy answer.

·
Vendor
22,053 Posts
Coolant contains corrosion inhibitors, as well as cleaning/scrubbing agents and other additives that all slowly loose their original properties. The Ph in the water can also change over time and go bad, which will accelerate corrosion.

So yes, it is a good idea to change the coolant at least every 2 years, if not every year. Be sure to use distilled water, and don't ever put tap water in the cooling system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts