GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of purchasing a GL1800 02,, has all the recals done,, wondering if 30K is high,,
only history I can gather is that the person trading is a member of this board [ im thinking of getting it from state 8 cycle in ohio...

maint history showes oil changes and service ' so the sales man says '
do they need a valve adj before 30k....

is that consideded " getting up there " for the miles on this bike...??

Thanks Much

·
Registered
291 Posts
At 30K miles, that Wing is just barely broken in - no where near getting "up there" in m iles.

My GL1500 has over 250K miles - with absolutely no engine work done.
My GL1800 is closing in on 80K miles.
A good friend of mine had a GL1100 that had 400K miles when it finally toasted a drive shaft.

MANY folks here have 1800s with over 100K miles, and I'm sure there are more than a few with 200K miles. Anybody broken 300K yet? Don't know, but I'm sure some will.

Wings only die thru neglect or crashing.

IOW - go for it!

Roy

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Don't own a Wing but own a Shadow Aero with 30,000 on the clock. Aero is running as well today as when new. From what I've gathered on this forum is a Wing is good for 100,000 or more if maintained properly. 30,000 should be nothing to worry about. Do you have a Wing-owning friend that can take a look at it for you?

G

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with the engine but I might want to check the fork seals.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have an 02 with 120,000 miles. It still puts just as big a smile on my face as it did when new. I check the valves according to the schedule and they have always been within specs. I had the frame reweld done and the overheat recall even though it never overheated. The only other issue I have had was the anti-dive valve which was handled under the warranty. Does it have the extended warranty. Not a big deal but definately a plus.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I got mine last Dec 13th and it had 29.5 K on it. At 32, I changed the oil to Mobil 1, and now have 44.8 K on it and coming up on an oil change, if I get a chance to slow down. I did disable the Antidive at around 33 or 35 and hadn't even thought about that until now. If the price is right go for it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Also the only way to believe mantinance history is to see it in writing! Don't take for gospil any stories about yearly checks and oil changes... :!:

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
my 02 still runs as good as new at 157,000 smiles

might start watching for a good deal sometime after 200,000

bike is under warranty untill Nov 2009

if u think the price is rite jump on it

·
Registered
327 Posts
At 30k miles, with proper maintanence and all recalls down you have a basically new bike. You are talking about 6000 miles a year...If you don't want it link it here I'm sure someone will snap it up right away... :yes:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Now, if 30K was the price, I'd advise against it, but since you're talking about the odometer, I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
488 Posts
What color is it? I've heard the black '02s were by far the fastest.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Four months ago I bought a 2002 with 29,000 ... now has 33,000 ... finally getting "broke in" ... just like a new bike ... I appreciate that the original owner passed along to me the extended warrenty for another two years ... rear end went out but that's rare, and covered by warrenty. I'm one HAPPY CAMPER !!! :wink:

See proud photos at http://soliddesign.net/~tom/Vacation200 ... n2006.html ... my bike is YELLOW !!!

A

·
0 Posts
30K on the Odometer? Don't worry about it. I have an '01 with 72K on the clock. I think I just finally got it broke in. It is running better than it ever did, if that is possible. I did an oil change yesterday, and after I refilled the oil, I set a nickle on it's side on the engine while it was running. It just sat there. Did not move a millimeter.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
gl1800_chat said:
I am thinking of purchasing a GL1800 02,, has all the recals done,, wondering if 30K is high,,

Thanks Much
That is for all practical purposes a new bike and the 30,000 miles is nothing in terms of use. Assuming the bike was well taken care of and there are no other issues with it, you can feel confident that you can ride that bike as much and as many years as you want and you'll grow tired of the bike before it ever wears out. Go ahead and put several hundred thousand miles on it and then let someone else use it for a long time.

Enjoy the bike if you get it,

DaleC

I

·
0 Posts
I have 18K on my 02, and it runs like it is still new. A well cared for 1800 with 30K should be no problem for many miles...like over 100K more. :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
327 Posts
gl1800_chat said:
CBX said:
What color is it? I've heard the black '02s were by far the fastest.
:))))) silver ,, it must be a slow one

No, No, fellas...the Red...red is the fastest....come on now... :biker:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts