GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my bike lying on it's right side to remove the rear wheel due to a nail in the rear tire I noticed an oily spot on the inside of the swing arm. Can anyone tell me if this is a leak that I need to investigate or just an accumulation of dirt/oil that I just need to clean off?

Thanks,
jb

Attachments

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
You could clean it off with some kind of solvent and watch it for a while and see if it returns. There is a vent for the rear drive and lube could seep through, but it is on the top of the gear box. It might be a good time to look for a trike take off rear gear set. I found a brand new one for $75. Or take it to the dealer as your bike should still be under warranty.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I would just clean it off and then watch it. Just one small drop of oil will attract brake dust and that is what that looks like. That spot is also hard to get to and even if you wash the bike and use a hose to clean it up, it would never get a direct cleaning.

Just clean it up and watch it for a couple times and if it does not show back up , forget it. Naturally check the lever of the gear lube as that could indicate if it is going somewhere. Does not look like it though, looks like a spot of oil coated with brake dust.

Kit

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Just clean it off and snug up the bolt and look at again in say 25 to 30 K.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Based on the picture you posted, it looks like something have dripped from above the bolt. I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the bike, I'm simply expressing my thoughts after seeing the picture. It appears that some fluid dripped from above the bolt into the area where the dirt has collected (see the drip stains).

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not a dirty spot on a Wing
The world is coming to an end
You need to Immediately Strip ever Piece of Plastic off, Remove
every nut, bolt and fastener and start cleaning each and everyone.
That will Catch fire and Burn your wing to the ground. :tongue:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Why did you lay the bike on it's side to remove the back wheel? Take off the rear fender and it will roll out the back. It doesn't look like a leak, probably just road grim, clean it and watch it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Make sure that bolt is tight.

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
I would just clean it off and then watch it. Just one small drop of oil will attract brake dust and that is what that looks like. That spot is also hard to get to and even if you wash the bike and use a hose to clean it up, it would never get a direct cleaning.

Just clean it up and watch it for a couple times and if it does not show back up , forget it. Naturally check the lever of the gear lube as that could indicate if it is going somewhere. Does not look like it though, looks like a spot of oil coated with brake dust.

Kit
:agree:with the DS on this topic

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Fellas, that's a nut, not a bolt.

Just thot you might like to know!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
There should be no oil behind that bolt. My guess would be a leaking pinion seal and weaping out the lower bolt hole. Does it smell like hypoid oil ? Like others said, I would clean it off with some brake cleaner and keep an eye on it and the oil level in the final drive.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oil spot

First of all, thanks for all the replies. I agree, clean it off and see if it reappears.

To answer one of the questions, I laid it on it's side to remove the tire because that's easier than removing the amplifier and trailer hitch.

And to ask another, what does hypoid oil smell like?

And for Bugsquawsher, I'm more concerned about mechanical soundness than appearance and I'm probably not as good a mechanic as you are.

The bike is still under warranty and I'll have the local dealer look at it if it reappears.

And one more thing, Happy 50th Birthday to iWing!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
And for Bugsquawsher, I'm more concerned about mechanical soundness than appearance and I'm probably not as good a mechanic as you are.
Did You see my :tongue:
I was just poking fun. Like someone else said on here.
One or two Drops of oil can make a real Mess and Collect dirt.
I could take some pictures of Mine up close to show ya LOL
I'm thinkin in another 15k miles I won't even need to Powdercoat the back wheel . She's looking pretty black right now.
Wanna see a Dirty Wing. I got one for ya. 50 miles today in light to heavy Drizzle the whole way. How invigorating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts