GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just thinking and realized that I have never used the parking brake on my DCT. I imagine that I would use it if I was parked on an incline or decline. I sort of treat it as an automatic car. I never use my emergency brake in my car unless I am on a hill. Is this logic wrong?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I only use mine when parked on a hill. I don't see any reason to use it on the flat. It's no different than leaving a manual in neutral when parked on the flat.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts
I was just thinking and realized that I have never used the parking brake on my DCT. I imagine that I would use it if I was parked on an incline or decline. I sort of treat it as an automatic car. I never use my emergency brake in my car unless I am on a hill. Is this logic wrong?
The owner’s manual tells you to set the parking brake when you park the bike and to make sure it is applied when starting and warming up the bike.

I don’t use mine unless parked on an incline/decline.

:doorag:

·
Registered
124 Posts
As a new goldwing rider I find myself using it frequently. Once I ride onto the centerstand I’m ok. When I’m not on the centerstand I use it as a crutch to ease my mind that it isn’t gonna get away from me. My previous ride was a silverwing so you can imagine the difference in sheer mass.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have only used mine once and that was on an incline. Almost forgot it was even there..

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
422 Posts
Unfortunately we are routine animals , if you don't get in the habit to set the parking brake chances are you will forget about it when you need it.

Yes I put the parking brake all the time unless the bike is in my garage and yes before that I forgot and the bike nearly fall over.

I do use the parking brake in my cars all the time as well.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I sort of treat it as an automatic car. I never use my emergency brake in my car unless I am on a hill. Is this logic wrong?
It’s not at all like an automatic car, a car has ‘Park’ which holds it’s position. No ‘Park’ on your bike though. I drive a school bus with an automatic transmission and there is no ‘Park’ on that either so you NEED to use your parking brake. I try to remember to always put my emergency brake on on my bike but on occasion I leave it on and try to ride away :eek:4:

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree that the older Goldwings, when I would park it, I just put it in neutral and left it.
If I was afraid the bike might roll, I would use 1st gear, let it roll till it stopped and then set it on its side stand.
I do use my parking brake every once in a while and come to think of it, I use it randomly.
I guess I should decide, either use it all the time or use it only when I think I will need to keep the bike from rolling.
I believe they put the parking brake on there, because you can use 1st gear as a parking brake on the manual bikes, while the DCT has no way to keep it from rolling, since it will be in neutral if the engine is stopped. This gives you an option instead of carrying around chocks. (I got rid of mine when I sold my airplane).

·
Registered
506 Posts
Have never used mine...

·
Registered
78 Posts
For those whose answer is "I've never used mine" you might want to try it sometime on a little slope to see if it actually works. Mine was out of adjustment right out of the box and wouldn't hold even on a small grade. Better to find out it doesn't work before you really need it.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Use mine all the time. Always parked my bikes in first gear so they wouldn't roll. This thing shuts off in N, so it is not secured from rolling without the brake.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
If I'm not in my garage I use it, I always would park my manual models in 1st.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I been calling my 1833 a souped up Burgman. I rode a Burgman 650 a lot. Now I consider this "auto" my big Burgman. I use the parking brake all the time when I am not on the centerstand. It works good!!!!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use mine occasionally, definitely on sloped surfaces. I should probably use it more often than I do. I'll try to do better. If i can remember. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Your logic is spot-on !!!

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
930 Posts
I use it all the time. It frustrated a few coworkers who wanted to roll my new bike away... They couldn't figure out how come it wouldn't roll!

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Registered
96 Posts
I prefer to use the center stand when parking.

Because I only occasionally use the parking brake, my tendency is to forget that I had set it and I have had a couple of close calls when starting out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I prefer to use the center stand when parking.

Because I only occasionally use the parking brake, my tendency is to forget that I had set it and I have had a couple of close calls when starting out.
I have forgotten that I had my parking brake on and with the torque of this engine it isn’t evident right away that I was driving with it on. I just may wire a switch in series to the side stand switch so it kills the engine if I put it in drive with the parking brake on. Probably not necessarily but it’s my bike. ?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts