GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my oil level and it's at that little half circle ABOVE the UPPER level.

Going on a 1000 mile trip this weekend.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You kidding....or is it OK?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I assume that before you checked it, you cranked the bike and let the oil circulate, & warm up, per the owwners manual. Then checked it on the side stand. Or is it the Center stand, I never can remember, and always have to look in the Owners Manual

(Since mine never leaks on the ground, or Smokes, I rarely ever check it between Oil Changes).

If you did all of the above, then as Sid said, just siphon it down to the correct level.

But I am curious as to how it got overfilled. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
If I fact, that is where it is, drain out a quart and check again. I'd run it, let it sit overnight and check it first.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just in case, when you checked it, did you screw the dip stick in or just inserted it until it hit the threads? I don't think you supposed to screw it in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't worry. Just ride.
:agree: If you put 4 quarts in at the last oil change just drive it. It will be different every time you check it. Quit worrying about it and drive the heck out of it for 300,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Check it again, it will be different, just ride it:thumbup:

S

·
0 Posts
I would worry and worry until my hair turns gray. Oh it is gray - never mind :roll:

·
Registered
7,607 Posts
I hope it was because you screwed in the dipstick....
the check should be done without screwing it in.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
IMO, I would not run it very far with too much oil. If you know for a fact 4 quarts was put in it. Forget about it because the level can be deceiving. I like to check it after the bike has set several hours or overnight. That'll give you an accurate reading every time. Checking it like the manual says can be tricky if you don't get it hot enough.

If it is really a quart over full, I would drain some. Too much oil is worst than a quart low. Seals are stressed, oil can foam and cause lack of lubrication. Overfilling cause oil to get in the air cleaner.

Some say, just ride it and don't worry about it, it's so simple to check it and drain a little out, why take the chance. My opinion only. Not fact.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts