GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been through 3 harbor freight motorcycle lifts for various reasons I have none now. I decided to by myself a nice lift for my new “at home” shop! I paid a small fortune for a “Pitbull” lift. It’s American made!!!!! It has arrived and is unpacked. The powder coating is great. One stop works fine , the other needs to be removed and a tiny amount ground off so it will turn freely. The welding is awful. I’ve worked in factory with hundreds of welders and have never met one that doesn’t say his welds will hold, until, they are x-rayed. I haven’t welded since my old shop and equipment burned, but I can lay down a better bead than this. I brought school trained experienced welders up to see it and they laugh. It might hold, should I be the test ground for this company that clearly states they take no responsibility for anything? The Chinese hydraulic jacks on the Harbor Freight appeared to be better Chinese quality than this one. Yes, we could build one, but that’s not the point to me. It seems they should say, put in 6 bolts and “dob” welded then sent out for power coating in America with foreign parts. Steele, bolts, etc.
What would u do?
I don’t want to pack it back up.
Considered having the guys throw it in my truck and driving to this place and see if it’s in some guys garage.
At least everyone has had a good laugh on me for paying this much for this product.
One friend is mailing me duct tape and baling wire.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been selling, installing and servicing mc and 2 post and 4 post lifts for over 20 yrs. Everything from 7lb 2 post up to 80k bus and he truck lifts.
The Chinese crap coming over since about 2004 is pure crap...I wouldn't get under or service one. **** I wouldn't take one of it's free and I've had a number of clients but the cheap Chinese lifts only to call me and ask if I want it and to bring out a quality built lift. This more on the car lift side of the business.
For a MC lift you can't go wrong with either a rotary or even better a Handy MC lift.
I have one, it's the same one that's in the bike shop in town at the Honda dealer (though many use Rotary lifts in dealerships.
It just is not worth it to save a few bucks when your life and bike are on the line.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
The Pitbull stuff I’ve owned has been of good quality.

Did you even approach them about your issue? Or did you just get busy whining about them immediately to anyone and everyone who would listen? I hope not.

A reasonable guy would give them a chance to make it right.

Looking at their web site, I don’t see anything that looks overpriced unless you compare it to Harbor Freight.

Call them up. The worst thing they can do is flip you off, and then you’ll have something to embellish your story.

At the best, they’ll exchange it.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
260 Posts
I bought one from Matco tools years ago while I was still working as a tech. I have never had any problem with it and it's American made. You can look on their website and check it out. It was not that expensive. I believe Snap on and Mac tools also carry them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
El Toro, please expound on WHEN I call how I will know and understand that their statement of “American Made” has been proven. Will it be the shear strength of the grade 5 bolts, “Made in America? Or when he sends proof of American Steele? The question still remains, irregardless of you protecting him, American Made?????????

·
Registered
466 Posts
I don’t know him. Apparently neither do you. I didn’t even realize they were in TN. It’s never come up.

Return it, sell it, use it, or let it collect dust.

If I were you, and I’m not, I would return it because of what you have identified as substandard welds. Give them a chance to make it right instead of whining about them to as many as will listen.

It is not a big company. I have their stand for the ZX14R. It is well made.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I would photo document your concerns and send it back for a refund. Why settle if you can find something that better meets your requirements.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Many here have bought a motorcycle made in Japan when they could have bought a motorcycle manufactured here in the USA.

I had a bad experience when I attempted to purchase an American made two post lift for my garage. After numerous delays on the delivery I finally gave up and drove less than 20 twenty miles to a local distributor and bought a lift made in China. So far it has worked great without issue. I also saved the $1000 plus dollars I was willing to pay to get American made. It's a sad state of affairs when we here in the states can't produce, sell and deliver quality products.:frown2:

Here's a couple of pictures of an adapter I made for the two post lift to lift my Goldwing.

Attachments

Reactions: capttwb and JoeHall

·
Registered
926 Posts
I’ve been using a Handy pneumatic lift for the better part of 15yrs. For my motorcycles, UTV, lawnmower, and anything else that fits. Never had a single problem and I believe it has a lifetime warranty. Made in USA. B.

Reactions: j1000

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone, I’ve worn many hats in my life, and still do, but if I make a mistake in one of my jobs other people would have to step over dead bodies. Maybe I expect too much, if they die they want whine, but their family, friends and lawyers will!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have a Pitbull lift that's over 10 years old. I had to replace the jack portion of the lift once because
of leaking. I would guess the jack is made in China. I've been to their facility several times.
Most recently I rode down and picked up an adapter for the 2018 Gold Wing. It's about 60 miles from
my house. They've had a new owner in the last couple years and maybe their quality has slipped.
I'm happy with mine. I'm sorry you're having problems with yours.

·
Registered
4,729 Posts
Build one yourself!
Several years ago I bought one from Harbor Freight. When I got home I measured anything so I would know the lift angles then returned it a couple hours later. Bought some steel and made my own.>:)

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
To buy American tools, with American steel, coupled with high quality costs a lot of money. For example, recently I purchased a set of Snap-On feeler gauges. I'm not happy with the way a cheeper Blue-Point set responds when adjusting valves. For most, the Blue-Point set would be expensive. But I wanted higher quality. The basic set I bought lists for $80.00+.

https://shop.snapon.com/product/FB31S

Craftsman has similar set for $11.00

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...MIv7SVoc_V5AIVkYTICh0jLAnGEAQYASABEgL6E_D_BwE

·
Registered
505 Posts
Made in america does not indicate that it’s the same quality. Most things are CNC these days and quality is comparable if the price points are somewhat in the same ballpark. Granted, you can’t compare “made in X” over made in USA for the same item if the USA piece is 1k while brand X is 200 dollars. Many made in USA items are not totally made in USA when you get to the fine print. Many are “MADE IN THE USA..with international parts” or “Designed and assembled in the USA...using foreign manufactured parts”.

These days, just about everything in your home and everything you drive is either made in another country or has so many parts manufactured outside the US that it doesn’t really matter. I don’t really care where it’s made these days as long as those making it take pride in putting out a good product. Many use the made in USA as an automatic indicator of quality but pride and craftsmanship in many folks making these products are not what they use to be. Most things are made to be disposable these days and not made to last a lifetime as many folks quickly move on to the latest and greatest. They figure, most items will be replaced within five or ten years anyway so if the product lasts for the first owner, that’s good enough....end of rant

·
Registered
466 Posts
Better learn to speak Chinese. We are dependent on them for just about anything of medium complexity. You want fries with that?

Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Made in america does not indicate that it’s the same quality. Most things are CNC these days and quality is comparable if the price points are somewhat in the same ballpark. Granted, you can’t compare “made in X” over made in USA for the same item if the USA piece is 1k while brand X is 200 dollars. Many made in USA items are not totally made in USA when you get to the fine print. Many are “MADE IN THE USA..with international parts” or “Designed and assembled in the USA...using foreign manufactured parts”.

These days, just about everything in your home and everything you drive is either made in another country or has so many parts manufactured outside the US that it doesn’t really matter. I don’t really care where it’s made these days as long as those making it take pride in putting out a good product. Many use the made in USA as an automatic indicator of quality but pride and craftsmanship in many folks making these products are not what they use to be. Most things are made to be disposable these days and not made to last a lifetime as many folks quickly move on to the latest ang greatest. They figure, most items will be replaced within five or ten years anyway so if the product lasts for the first owner, that’s good enough....end of rant
Exactly, I don't know how many times I've seen that before. "Made in America " using global parts. I think a product only has to be 51% made in America to make that claim. You can almost count on your American made product containing foreign components.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
https://www.businessinsider.com/what-does-made-in-usa-actually-mean-2017-2

The standards are stricter than you might think. "Made in USA" is a label protected by the Federal Trade Commission, or FTC. In order for an item to be called such, the item must be made within the United States' borders from "all or virtually all" American parts — that is, with parts also made in the US.

According to the FTC's website, "all or virtually all" means that "all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of US origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content."

·
Registered
252 Posts
Reactions: charleetho
1 - 20 of 34 Posts