GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The release for the left hand saddlebag finally broke (or at least the release lever seems to be disengaged from the rest of the mechanism) on my '05. Should I try to fix it myself or will it most likely need the replacement part(s)? If the latter, I'll let the dealer do the whole job.

The dealer isn't far, but if it's an easy fix it beats spending time at the dealership, or making two trips.

If the advice is to fix it myself, any instructions or hints would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. The left side saddlebag release has been an issue since 2001.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
It may not be broken at all and just needs to be in a tighter groove. Mine felt the same way and just needed adjustment which is very easy. You'll find the instructions by doing a search on left saddlebag.

·
Registered
38 Posts
self or dealer

I think it is good to develop a work order history, because at some point it may make you eligible for a complete replacement, especially if the 07 comes out with a better setup. I understand they tried to make some improvements on the 06, so you might want to ask for that specifically. Suppose to be a stronger bar so it does not bend as easily, although mine did and is getting replaced by the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Re: self or dealer

Reguam said:
I think it is good to develop a work order history, because at some point it may make you eligible for a complete replacement, especially if the 07 comes out with a better setup. I understand they tried to make some improvements on the 06, so you might want to ask for that specifically. Suppose to be a stronger bar so it does not bend as easily, although mine did and is getting replaced by the dealer tomorrow.
Dream on,

Its eligible for a a replacement now, but it's the same latch. :shock: :shock:

He has till 2008 for replacement.

They have had trouble since 2001, 2005's were supposed to be fixed. My 2005 broke, had to fix it myself, dealer would have put the same latch back in it, sorry I don't have a lot of hope for MH to fix it any time soon. :cry:

later..Randy

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I'll take a quick run at it, and if I can't fix it readily, off to the dealer I go. Might be interesting; hopefully not. Just fix it and send me home, please! :biker:

·
Registered
756 Posts
I wish they would have just put a simple latch on there like a HD bagger. Look how much space they took up in the trunk with that fancy remote crap. I've been back to the dealer three times on the bag issue. I just try not to use the left side bag.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
JMATANDEM said:
Thanks everyone. I think I'll take a quick run at it, and if I can't fix it readily, off to the dealer I go. Might be interesting; hopefully not. Just fix it and send me home, please! :biker:
There ya go! :lol:

I am sure you are comfortable with your decision. That is the most important thing. :D

It never hurts to consider giving it a shot before crying to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Same thing happend to mine.....the green plastic clip bgroke at the bottom of that rod. I fixed it myself only because I didn't want to hassle wiht the dealer. It is not too tough, but takes some finesse. Honda does have the clips, $2.50 each. Someone mentioned to me that you can get similar metal ones at auto parts stores. Haven't tried them. You will likely have to remove the bottom portion of the trunk from screws onthte inside. Remove trim pieces first and that will reveal screws for the bottom trunk piece.

If you're pretty handy I'd try it.......you will learn much about why it screws up in the first place. Try a little silicon grease around too!

·
Vendor
22,503 Posts
Dear Abby;

I've never written to you before, but I really need your advice on what
could be a crucial decision. I've suspected for some time now that my
wife has been cheating on me.

The usual signs... the phone rings but if I answer, the caller hangs up.
My wife has been going out with the girls a lot recently although when
I ask their names she always says, "Just some friends from work, you
don't know them."

I always stay awake to look out for her taxi coming home, but she always
walks down the drive, although I can hear a car driving off, as if she
has gotten out of the car round the corner. Why? Maybe she wasn't in a
taxi? I once picked her cell phone up just to see what time it was and
she went berserk and screamed that I should never touch her phone again
and why was I checking up on her.

Anyway, I have never broached the subject with my wife. I think deep
down I just didn't want to know the truth, but last night she went out
again and I decided to really check on her.

I decided I was going to park my Harley Davidson next to the garage and
then hide behind it so I could get a good view of the whole street when
she comes home. It was at that moment, crouching behind my Harley, that
I noticed that the rocker boxes on my engine seem to be leaking a little
oil.

Is this something I can fix myself or should I take it back to the
dealer?

Thanks,

Biker Bob

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
JMATANDEM said:
The release for the left hand saddlebag finally broke (or at least the release lever seems to be disengaged from the rest of the mechanism) on my '05. Should I try to fix it myself or will it most likely need the replacement part(s)? If the latter, I'll let the dealer do the whole job.

The dealer isn't far, but if it's an easy fix it beats spending time at the dealership, or making two trips.

If the advice is to fix it myself, any instructions or hints would be appreciated.
This depends on how much you trust your dealer? Take it in for this fix and they will break something else taking it apart or parts unseen will be missing. They do sometimes confuse string trimmers and lawn mower parts and manuals for Goldwings at the HONDA Mower shop :D

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
GP Young said:
I wish they would have just put a simple latch on there like a HD bagger. Look how much space they took up in the trunk with that fancy remote crap. .
I agree, why do you need a remote handle 8 inches away from the box you are opening? Keep it simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.