GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read with great amusement the thread of emails regarding "Should I Let Her Ride?". Well now it is my turn to seek advice: Should I let HIM ride? I am referring to Roger, my beloved. Ever since he got that FJR1300, his riding has seemed more and more careless to me. Even when we are riding the Wings together, this same foolhardy attitude seems to bleed over. Twice today, I witnessed him changing lanes, pulling right out in front of a vehicle already in the lane he was aiming for. When I called him on it, he replied, "Well, I had my turn signal on." I tried explaining to him that just because he puts on his turn signal does not give him the right of way. He still must yield to people who are already in the lane he wants to get into. He seems to think that the mere act of putting his turn signal on automatically gives him the right-of-way, and people should pull back and slow down to let him into the lane. Well, you know and I know that a lot of the time people won't do that. If anything, they will speed up to keep him from getting in front of them. But that doesn't stop Roger -- he'll just pull right out in front of them anyway. He almost gave me a heart attack today, TWICE! :banghead: It's getting to the point that I am becoming scared to ride with him, because I do not want to be a witness to his early demise. It will be bad enough when the police come to my door to inform me, I don't have to see it happen! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re should I let him ride?

It hasn't been since I got the FJR, so just to bring everyone up to speed. I turn on my turn signal to make an turn they speed up so as to block not just me even cars get cyut off because someone dosen't like :x and to
be pulled infront of and I'm also getting tired of people on cell phones not paying attention pulling infront of not only me but other vehicles and unfornantly its mostly women. That why I went out yesterday and bought some horns that have some ba--s, yea I have to rewire and putb in a relay but as soon as there installed they will hear me :D , the wing has some great horns (GL1800), these are going on my FJR1300 meepmeep is what they sound like. These horns are 139Decibles did I say loud. :shock:

Ps Crack that throttle open!!
roger/orangestreak

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't change the subject, Roger... We are not talking about people on cell phones pulling out in front of us (which I also hate, for the record), nor equipment (which I also love, for the record). We are talking about YOU pulling out in front of other people.... and yes, it HAS been more prevalent since you bought that *$#%@* crotch rocket. Maybe you haven't noticed it, but I definitely have.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow - this can't be good. Both of you - lay down the mouse and step away from the keyboard.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hmmm...I'm not getting in the middle of this one. I think I'll just sit back and watch! :lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you but I can understand both thier viewpoints. I spend a good part of my days out on the highways and I see Roger's point all the time. You will be riding/driving along and as soon as your turn signal comes on to let people know you are changing lanes the sorry sob driver in the vehicle behind you speeds up to block you from changing lanes.
I also see Jami's point. If he is doing this stuff just out of carelessness or being wreckless then he needs to have his wings clipped for a while.
Hopefully the two of them can come to some sort of civil agreement.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Let him ride. Tell him to be careful .

Around the metro Phoenix Az area it seems people take different pills.

Some days it is a general stoopid pill, other days it is a "don't let them in front of me" pill, other days it is the "I am the only vehicle on this road" pill

you get the idea.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Jami,

I have to agree with all your comments if they are true. Just by turning on the signal to change lanes or any other movement, does not give you the right away. When one rides a motorcycle you have to ride DEFENSIVELY and expect the unexpected all the time. The cagers have no respect for motorcycles and if they knock you off, they will just say what they always say, 'I did'nt see you' To finish off, I would refuse to ride with another motorcyclist who does not abide by the rules of the road, whether that be my wife, husband, brother, sister, etc. :( :wink:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Rodger my friend I'll have to go with Jami on this one. Although Mikey doesn't ride her own bike so as to notice what I may or may not do when I'm alone, I do know that she loves me very much and does not want to lose me. I know what your thinking but just keep that to yourself. About eight months ago I sold the Blackbird, and one of the reason were for some of the actions that Jami just described. The only difference was I wasn't even bothing to use the turn signals. With the capability of o to 100 in just a little over 4 seconds why bother? No doubt it was an e-ticket ride that I loved, but the more I rode it the more aggressive I became. I absolutely love speed. One day I stopped for a minute to think about what was really important to me and the answer was a hands down MIKEY! I realize that by definition motorcycling is dangerous, but some how putting me up on a 180 mph bike was going to be a formula for disaster. It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement, that sometimes I think we forget that there are others that may suffer as a result of our poor judgement. Rodger, you have a number of people that would like to see you around for awhile, and the most important one is Jami. Take heed my friend as all I hear is a love plea.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm game!

Ok, I’m game.
#1. Dead is dead. You can be very right and very dead.
#2. People no longer assume responsibility in their driving, for their kids, for much of anything.
#3. When you care about someone you’re obligated to speak out. It would be similar to letting someone get behind the wheel when they can barely stand.

My own take on idiots. More than 42,000 people died on our roads in 2002. More so in 20003. There is a lacking of personal responsibility by the individual driver; there is not adequate enforcement and laws. We only seem to get excited when someone we love is killed.

Geese… I feel better for having shared that.

BTW, this comes from someone who has engaged in road rage and will again. People regularly piss me off. THOSE PEOPLE SHOULD DIE!!!!!!!
Just kidding, said it because again, I feel better for having shared that.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Sounds like a Loving WIFE, that wants to hang on to her Dearest for a few more years.

If that is not a wake up call, I don't know what one is.

Time for cool heads to prevail and get back to the basics.

Roger I am not siding with either of you. Seems as there is a problem with a common denominator.

I went down in 96', A lady pulled out from a convenience store right in front of me. I was doing 28 MPH. I spent two years in and out of hospital for surgeries, cadaver parts and the like. It is not any fun. I am still *ucked up from that accident.

Seems to me that you both need to sit down and air your concerns, No doubt Roger, Jami loves you and she sees a change for the worse in your riding style. She is not a novice to motorcycle riding so perhaps she might be right.

Jami, you are a good women to bring this to your husbands attention. Not so sure the open forum was the greatest place though.

Good Luck to both of you!

Bulldog

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried the closed forum approach first, but was getting nowhere. That's why I decided to seek suggestions/advice from the open forum.
:chat:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
What they said

Yup ! There's a lot of very good advice that's been given hear ! What Gary (Gary & Mikey) says is true ! You have a 6cyl Chevy that doesnt do a whole lot of nothing. But you drop a 327/350hp engine into that car and whoa ! Look out kids ! If the HP is there your gonna use it. Same on Motorcycles, and lets face it the FJR is a lot more nimble than the wing. Since I have joined this board I have recieved sooooo much help and very good advice I can't remember who wrote this too me ? I'll guess at Bob C ? He wrote that when a cage and a motorcycle get into it ? The motorcycle always looses. I tend to get a little excited at times,(understatement) LOL..........so I try very hard to remember this. And I have pulled over to get a grip on things? What you say is very true, but sometimes we just gotta back off and look at the BIG picture. :yes2:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
When I have owned smaller, quicker, sportyer bikes I got a little wild with them so I would say been there, done that, might do it again... Jami loves you so you must be doing something right.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Man, I was saving my 100th post to say something profound or just plain stupid. So here goes -

Roger my man, I've got to say that if what Jami alledges is true, you need to get rid of the FJR before it gets rid of you. I've been a speed nut for years and finally realized that it would eventually kill me. You need to come to terms with the idea that you are not invincible. Hope you've got a guardian angel riding with you, cause you may need her! :angle1:

Jami my lady, it's obvious that you really love him. Hope you get through to him on this one. Good luck to you. :luck:

I know I shouldn't get involved in this one, but what the hey!

Flame suit on if needed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Jami I think you are absolutely right! You need to take that FJR1300 away from him for about a year to teach him a lesson. I'd be glad to keep it for you and of course ride it so it would not get lonely :wink:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mrs. Deadeye's Input

Jami, you are right-on to ask your question. It is just too bad that this board has so much testosterone running through it.

I think you should NOT let Roger ride until he gets a better grip on his attitude. You need to sit him down and make him understand that he is not the guardian of polite and thoughtful driving techniques and behaviors on the highway. You know, and he better damn well get a grip on the fact that his principle jog on the motorcycle is to ride it safely, make sure he knows what the others sharing the road will do before they even know it, and then personally take evasive and aggressive action so he doesn't get crossed up with the inattention and incompetence of others.

Perhaps, you should insist that he take one or two MSF safety courses so he reviews and practices safe riding techniques. You can comfort and support him while he regains his grip on his emotions and dampens his super-hero tendencies, but don't let him ride until you are sure that he has re-stabilized himself for "mental motorcycling".

One final note: did it seem to you that some of the guys that posted on this thread had a VERY different perspective than the men that posted on the "should I let HER ride" thread?

Good luck,
Redeye (Mrs. Deadeye) (Oh, where is that flag he likes to post???) :priflag:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts