GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to MC trailering. My used PiggyBacker came with a lock for the trailer coupler. I have used this on the coupler while riding so no one can just pull up with THEIR Wing (or Panigale or V-Max :lol:) and take off with my Pig. Please forgive my ignorance but I just wondered if the coupler was, perhaps, SUPPOSED to be able to come loose under extreme conditions. That probably sounds like a stupid question, but trailering has its own set of rules--for example Safety Chains make no sense to me either.
:22yikes:
Comments?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Couplers have been known to unlatch during use which then frees trailer to run amok. Thus, the safety chains are (I believe) required in all states to prevent the trailer from running into other vehicles. Note: many couplers are adjustable as to how tight they fit the ball. They should be adjusted so that a bump will not cause coupler to jump off of ball. Trust me, a loose trailer running head-on into oncoming traffic is not pretty.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
1) Trailer Locks - keep the honest person honest. Tough to remove and walk away with a trailer that is locked.

2) Safety Chains - to prevent your trailer, if coming off the towing vehicle, from running out and injuring or killing someone. The person(s) around you on another bike or vehicle.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I use a trailer lock on my hitch but as Whisper Jet suggested, they are meant to keep honest people honest. If someone was determined and knowledgeable, all they would have to do is go under the bike hitch with a wrench and remove the receiver's drop bar. However, since its locked and bolted onto the bike, its loss would be covered by insurance.

If I am forced to park it in a location that raises concern, I simply roll my trailer (Uni-go) into the motel room with me and cover the bike.

You choice of parking locations is your first line of defense however. If possible, park outside your window or motel door. Just its near proximity and easy observation offers a good degree of protection. If that is not possible, look around the area easy supervised by the hotel's front desk and privy to good lighting. many hotels will allow motorcycles to park out front of the lobby entrance.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
lock vs. pin

There is a difference between a lock on the coupler and the pin. A lock prevents removal by someone other than owner. A pin in the coupler prevents the coupler from opening by accident. Safety chains are to prevent the trailer from becoming an unguided missile into something else. Proper positioning of the chains is a crossed pattern under the tow bar (if possible) to cradle the tow bar off the ground in case it does come off the hitch.

You should always pin or lock your coupler. I've responded to accidents caused by the coupler coming undone because it wasn't pinned or otherwise restrained from accidently opening. Almost all states require safety chains, no rule that I'm aware of regarding restraining the coupler other than common sense.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
That depends... do you want your trailer to be there in the morning?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I know in Pa., not sure about other States, including the one I live in, having the hitch pinned or locked in a manner that you can not operate the peice that engages or disengages the lock on the ball while it is attached to a motor vehicle is the Law, you must do it. Locking iy up for security reasons is up to you, but I say if you have it, why not use it.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always keep the coupler locked on all my trailers to prevent them from popping off the ball and then when they are not attached to a vehicle it makes them harder to steal. I have 3 trailers I pull with the bike for different reasons and only the bunkhouse has chains and I use them only because they are there.I have been all the way up and down the East coast without a problem from the LEO's for no chains. Some toll bridges require them but I have had no issues in the last 6 years.

Keep it locked for peace of mind and use the chains if you wish its your bike and trailer just find out whats required by the law when you leave the state because ignorance is no excuse to many LEO's

Jeff

·
Registered
635 Posts
I used a lock on all of my trailers ...... cargo, car haulers, stock trailers, campers ..... attached or not. Also, I have a locking pin in my receiver to keep it from being removed by person or persons unknown to me, or accidentlly 'falling out while riding down the road. When I have my camper set up, I lock the hitch and the door. True, they can unzip the tent part and climb in, but I am hoping other campers would notice something unusual going on. So far, all is well in my little world of trailer pulling. :)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have a locking pin in the receiver, a locking Bushtec cap over the bustec hitch pin and I also lock the trailer to a poll or another persons trailer when it is not attached to the bike. However, I do realize that if someone wants it, they will get it or damage it trying. My fear is LOSING the keys!! :22yikes: I do keep an extra set hidden on the bike!! Not hidden too well though, Wimpyhonda found them while he was working on the bike! LOL

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Cruise, I relay can't believe you have to ask that question. If you don't want to deal with it being stolen then of course you lock it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts