GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ridden in about 22 years and am taking the MSF course in about 1 month. once I pass...pretty sure I will. After that sometime this summer I will be getting a new goldwing. My question is or would like opinion of other goldwing riders is.

I want the goldwing, I hear from other rides I know that this bike is not a good bike to start on. other riders mostly ride sport bikes.

I am almost 40 and have a tiny bit of common sense. I do plan to practice for a couple months in early morning weekends and parking lots to get my sense of riding back before I take it out.

Can I do this I guess is my question. Opinion please from some Goldwing riders.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
The goldwing

I was in a similar situation, having been away from riding for 10 years. The wing looks huge and I admit being a little nervous on my dealer test ride. It feels much smaller when you're actually riding it and it is so well balanced that you won't have a problem with it. I'm not that big, 5'10" and 175 but I had no trouble balancing it at a stop because of the low seat height. Great power and great brakes. In short.......GET THE WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
With your prior experience and common sense approach you should have no problems riding a new GL1800. The GL1800 is very well balanced, I'm not sure how they do it but it hides its heft very well once underway and even low speed maneuvers are not difficult. I too came off sportbikes prior to getting my GL1800 and after just a few miles of feeling awkward the GL1800 feels very natural to me and is a piece of cake to ride. Further I have ridden many a cruiser that wasn't as well balanced and felt much more awkward, difficult to ride and just plain heavier even though the bike was actually lighter. Get a demo ride on a GL1800 and make up your own mind. I think you could save yourself some $ by not buying another bike you really don't want only to sell or trade it for the GL1800. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Go for it!!!

I agree. Go For It!!!! I went through the same discussions/thoughts back in 1999 when I decided to get back in to riding. Took the MSF course then I bought the cruiser that really had my eye -- a Valkyrie Standard. Still have the Valk and have about 38k miles on it, and I picked up an 1800 Wing in 02 and have about 32k miles on it. Just take it easy until you get your feet good and wet, but you should be fine with the Wing. It is so well balanced and handles so well. You will love it.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
It had been more than ten years since I had been on a bike when I first plunked my butt on my 1800.

Just before I rode away for the test ride,the sales manager asked me if I was sure I could handle it. Of course I told him "no problem" while inside,I wasn't so sure.
After a wobbly start,and a few blocks towards the freeway, I was just fine.

It felt like it had only been 10 days,not ten years since I was on a bike.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can't add anything to what has already been said.
Ride safe, ride often. you'll never regret getting a GL1800 Wing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Wing

Get the Wing, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you have prior riding experience, git on the wing and go, it's av ery forgiving bike, very easy to handle at low speed , you should not have any problem.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ditto to all the above. Just do it! This machine is one of the best balanced bikes I've ridden. It tracks like a freight train in the straight shots and corners like it weighs only 300 pounds.

When I first got on, I tried to muscle it around, thinking that it was going to be needed with something so large. Don't. You don't have to force anything to make this ride go where you want it to.

One last bit of advice, there is an electric reverse - use it. Even if you think you're "whimping out", it's better than straining yourself in a backward maneuver and losing your balance because of it. (I haven't "lost" it, but had a close call to dumping over which changed my mind quickly!)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had absolutely no riding experience (OK, a little as a kid on very small machines) and the took the MSF course in November and got the Wing in December 0f 2003.

I have had no problems so far. Future problems will be when/if I do something stupid and won't have anything to do with the bike being too big to start out on or too heavy, or any of the other 1,000 arguments from the purisists about "don't start on a Wing" because it's this that or the other. Just get it. To me, the advice of spending $20,000 or whatever working your way up to a Wing is just bad and doesn't make any sense. This bike will go where you "think" it to go it handles so well and is so well balanced. To me it is easier to ride the the 250cc's we used at MSF and I am not kidding about this.

Just be smart and get the feel of it (same advice for any new bike or even a car) before you get into any situations that might cause problems. I guarantee it won't take anywhere near your two month estimate.

Just get it, be careful and enjoy it.

Glenn

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd encourage you to get the Wing also, HOWEVER, prior to getting your wing, I would seriously consider purchasing an inexpensive used bike to help get your legs back underneath you. There's more to riding than balance & bike handling. Situation awareness on the road is critical to survival. It is a jungle out there. I hadn't ridden for about 15 years before I got back into motorcycling. Admittedly I went through 2 sport bikes (Buell & VFR) before I grew up & bought a wing. Never the less, that road experience was invaluable in having a happy and safe Goldwing experience.

Everyone drops a bike sometime either caused by someone else's carelessness or your own personal brain fart. I'd rather have that experience on a cheap 450 lb bike rather than my 850 lb, $18K Goldwing.

Just my $0.02

Ride safe, ride long . . . . then consider ridding hard.

·
Registered
376 Posts
At the risk of being out here all alone, my answer is NO. While the Wing is a fantastic bike, it is definitely not a beginner's bike. If you haven't ridden in 22 years and you are 40, over half your life has passed since you last rode. IMHO, that qualifies as a beginner. Taking the MSF course does not make anyone a motorcycle rider. That comes with experience, including some bad ones. Buy a smaller bike and learn to ride first.

markie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fortuneteller: I went through the agony you are dealing with last year. I had been away from bikes since I was 23 years old and never NEVER had anything the size and quality of the Wing. 34 years later and 63 years old, I say this>>>>>GO FOR IT!!!
I took the class, and the riding came back like I had never been away. One walk across the field and before I got across I was riding. I rented a Harley for a day, and almost changed my mind. I talked to several Honda dealers, and one of them even tried to tell me I was jumping into the deep end of the pool to go with the Wing.
With only 1200 miles on the bike, I have every confidence that it will take me through any curve. Learning and thinking "countersteer" was a revelation to me. The 1800 handles like a sportbike once you get a little practice.
I plan on keeping mine this year, and moving up to ASB brakes on probably an 06 model. If I had it to do over, that's my only mistake.
Oh and by the way Candy Red is the best. :wink:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Yes, what every body else said :D

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
you will remember this day for a long time if you take this little advice.

STOP TALKING AND THINKING, GO GET A WING AND ENJOY YOURSELF.

loren the voice of reason

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
SORRY, have to disagree with everyone. Your past MOTORCYCLE riding skills are limited. THE GOLDWING IS A WHOLE NEW EXPERIENCE......does not compare to any other motorcycle.. GO FOR IT! 8) It flies, it dives, she takes the curves so low, You will GLOW!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just don't get one of those colors referred above posts as the "fastest" ones.

Riding too fast is dangerous. Goldwing is not a race bike. :roll:

So, get the most impressively attractive, elegant and sexy color of CANDY BLACK CHERRY and join to impressively handsome CBC riders club.

We look as good as our bikes :lol:

You'll not be sorry ! :wink:

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My last bike was a 1977 Honda 750 Four. I kept that bike from new to two years ago but in the past five years or so didn't ride it much. I was really wanting a new 'Wing and couldn't bring myself to buy something else to tide me over, I WANTED A WING!

For all intent and purpose, my riding stopped in '92 or '93 except for a couple blocks here and there. I didn't enjoy the 750 anymore cuz ..... say it with me..... I WANTED A WING

Finally last year I swallowed my fiscal responsibility and went to the local dealer to test ride an 1800.

Yeah, like others have said, I was nervous as a pregnant nun but told the salesman, "no problemo" and out the lot I went

A mile later I felt like the bike grew out of my butt. It was awesome. This bike is so nimble and easy to handle it is incredible. Let me tell you, the time to deal on the bike IS NOT right after you get back from the test ride. The grin that you just can't wipe from your face makes it hard to tell the sales guy that you'll leave if he won't get you the deal you want. (don't ask how I know this)

The only possible caveat I might give after telling you that life is short and you need to do it NOW is that the bike is so confidence inspiring that in short order you'll feel like you can really give it heck. That is really where you can get hurt.

Buy it, ride it extra carefully until you're REALLY used to it and practice, a lot, especially low speed maneuvers. You'll be very, very glad you got it.

GO FOR IT! But....be careful out there!

Pat H

1 - 20 of 27 Posts