GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having ridden Gold Wings for the past 20+ years, there's no question for me that it's the best Touring bike available.

But it's not the easiest to haul out of the garage for quick trips. And I have a rare opportunity as my wife has given me permission to look for a second bike.

I'm considering the BMW R1200RT. Anyone own one? If so, how does it compare for an everyday ride? I noticed the seat height is greater than a Wing but there is an option for a lower seat. My inseam in 30 inches and the Wing fits me fine.

Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
If you want one!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
967 Posts
That could be a choice. You might also want to take a look at the Kawasaki Concourse 1400

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Bmw r1200rt

The Charlotte, NC BMW dealer let my wife and I test ride the RT last year.

The RT feel like a midsize bike--much smaller and lighter than the GW. The flat twin certainly has enough power for one person and does okay two up. GREAT brakes--love 'em. Best brakes on any bike I've ever ridden--including the GW! Seat--barely okay--but I'm fussy. I didn't go with the RT because of the low bars and only so-so passenger accommodations. Now, if it was a second bike? Sure. I'd have them put in a bar riser and ride that puppy to work every day.

Ask your local BMW dealer for a test ride, then you'll know.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I had an RT (pictured below) for many years but sold it last spring and bought the wing. Wife and I aren't getting any younger and she just didn't enjoy riding as much on the RT anymore due to its size. It is a great touring bike but much smaller than the wing.

Added a GS to the stable and set it up for the solo trips and for a different type of ride and now I believe I have the best of both worlds. A GS is bullet proof, will haul more than my wing and is a great canyon carver or solo slab eater. Unlike a lot of folks on this forum, I have had very good luck over the years with my beemers and REALLY like them.

I think if you buy an RT, either it or the wing won't get much use because they are built for a similar purpose. I would buy something that is not specifically built for 2 up touring. That is my 2 cents.

Click on the slide show in my sig if you want to see some pics of the GS.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bmw?

I took one as a loaner when my second bike triumph rocket three was being repaired. I rode it six block and turned around and requested something else. That twin boxer engine just didn't do it for me however the k1300gt and the r1200 Gs adv are great bikes. Just get ready to pay more for a service but they will go twice as long so it's a coin toss! Permission from the boss is great but research you don't want to dump alot in something you won't be happy with. I suggest a rental or at least an extended test drive. Grass roots BMW in Missouri is tough to beat on prices. And Honz is a straight shooter!

·
Registered
171 Posts
hey, desertwing,
I had an 1100 BMW for awhile. Liked looking at it far more than riding it--it just wasn't comfortable to me.
I now own an 1100 Shadow which compliments the Wing wonderfully. The Wing is the champ when it comes to distance riding, but the Shadow feels so much more agile for short buzzes in the area. You might take a look before going with the beemer. Any shop costs with the BMW are also something to consider.
OB

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
NO....you should buy a Ducati Multistrada. Would look much better going up/down Yarnell Hill, thru Skull Valley and back down White Spar from Prescott. Give your wife a nice "pat pat pat" and enjoy whichever one you choose.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have a rare opportunity as my wife has given me permission to look for a second bike.
Has there been any recent....ummm....increases on your life insurance?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The RT is a nice bike (I had one)...If the price is right, and there's been good maintenance, particullarly with the ABS (if it has it) and clutch, I say, buy it.

Clutch & ABS repairs on Beemers are, shall we say, Big Mans Wallet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've owned Moto Guzzis since 1976. Let me suggest the newest MG Norge 8V as an alternative. Demo them both before deciding. There have already been a few comparisons out there between the Norge 8V and BMW RT. Guzzi drive trains are near bullet proof, even better than the old BMW airheads and far less troublesome than the newer beemers.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/8518320/Moto-Guzzi-Norge-8V-review.html
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...moto-guzzi-norge-gt-8v-hugely-capable-tourer/

Pete
'71 Norton Fastback
'76 Guzzi LeMans
'04 GL1800
'08 KLR650
'11 Triumph Tiger 800XC

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
I bought my R1100RT brand new in 2000. Sold it two months ago after buying a 2010 Wing. Trust me, I would not have kept that bike for 11 years if I did not like it. I loved the electric windshield (I put a bigger one on) the quick detach bags and the way it handled. Seat was so-so but had a custom one built by Rocky Mayer then it was fine. I have two other bikes still and just did not have room in my garage for a bike that my GW was purchased to replace.

If not for the simple reason that I was ready for something else I would still be riding it and enjoying every mile. It never let me down and I was never sorry that I bought it.

If you get that R1200RT I think that you will be very happy with it. I certainly did enjoy my RT very much.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Ok, right off the bat I'll say that I've never owned an RT... so take this for what it's worth.

But if your premise is that the Wing is too hard to roll out of the garage for quick trips... why would you want another bike with a lot of bodywork?

I would think you're looking for something a little more sleek, like the R1200R or the R1200GS.

One note though... if foot-peg position is important to you (under your knees .vs under your butt, etc.)... make sure you either take a test ride on each type, as BMW likes to move the pegs around on it's R1200 models.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
For quick trips around town why not think of a large scooter. Silverwing? Burgman? Try it, you may like it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I ride mine out of the garage and use it for most trips that I do including groceries on occasion.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Or could just use the equally capable Wing... ? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I suggest you read what the guy in the link below has to say about the RT. He is a serious long distance rider and I would value his opinion above just about anyone's. He is also a good writer and the stories of his travels make for some interesting reading.

http://www.bamarider.com/

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Have a friend that had one. He is a fan of the boxer motor and has had a GS and an RT and his wing. He too will agree with you on the bulk of the wing. The Creature comforts of the RT is not that of the wing and you got to toss a wad of money to get things like audio. BUT!!!

They handle and preform very well and if you turn your own wrenches aren't that hard to maintain.

Like Tom said, the GS is a hoot and I ride the snot out of mine while the wing collecting dust waiting on a trip with mama. I use it as an everyday commuter, run to the store and for a LD touring machine. Also beat it up on the back roads and it takes what I dish out and when I get back on asphalt, it hums along all day at 80mph, happy as a clam loaded down with camp gear and whatever I want to take along.

It's not for everybody, especially if looks are what you are after. But hell, I can't see it while I'm riding it anyway.

·
Banned
939 Posts
If you plan to be solo on the "other" bike most if not all of the time. I would go more naked add a top case for the shopping runs.

Get the wind in your face, do a few clutch ups in town you will love it.

Think under 500lbs with rear end to make your wife nervous every time she runs out of milk.

If the wife asks you to go pick up some wine for dinner and then hesitates and asks if you are gonna take the Wing or the "other" bike and you say the "other" and then she says never mind. You know you got the right other bike.

Relax she will get over it as the smile you bring home after your quick town rides will wear her down.

One Thing though never under any circumstances tell her why you are changing out sprockets. Just say you wanted a different color. No way she will count the teeth.

My biased opinion look around for a used 919/hornet.
Lots of "old guys" bought them and their wives never did get used to that crazy looking smile and so they sit in purgatory between wife wanting it gone
and husband stubbornly holding on. Most wives eventually prevail.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts