GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

I am lucky enough to have off next week.. 4/28 - 5/6 2014. I am leaving Long Island Monday and heading to The badlands and Mount Rushmore.. My question is it to early in the season for this bike trip. I am not worried about riding in the HIGH 30's (heated gear and my new Klim Badlands pro suit should help) but I am worried about snow and ice. I was originally heading to the ozarks but id rather see the badlands and black hills.

Oh I plan on leaving Monday after work and arriving wed mid day. Tues will be a big day on bike. OZARKS OR BLUE RIDGE (TAIL OF DRAGON AREA... NORTH GA MOUNTAINS) RIDES ARE BACK UPS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Definitely keep an eye on the weather ahead of you!!

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
crazyhorse kinda neat to see. they have around 20 minute movie that shows how guy did all that you see without state/ federal money !! enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I don 't think it's worth the ride out. Rushmore is too commercial for me. Wouldn't 't want to risk the weather. Down here the weather is perfect right now. Slow run down here with time to see other things. A whole week would let you zig-zag all the way down and back. There will be plenty things to see coming down and on the way home to make up for the trip out west. Now if you run through there and spend the rest of your time in the Rockies, that 's different. But again the weather could turn against you. Dragon is a must first time ride but there are a lot more nice places to ride in the area. You could use 3 days in the area to ride some great roads.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm Canadian. Mt Rushmore is VERY worth it! I am not ashamed to say I was very moved by it(surprised me). Yes it is comercialized but well done. I reccomend it to anyone. And the area has some great sites and roads. Weather will be a possible issue this early but I think it is totally do-able this time of year IF you are prepared for the weather to turn on you, its still early and spring snow can come anytime. I have been twice in the last two years and love it and will go back again. Because it is so close, don't forget to check out devils tower just across the line in Wyoming.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I don't have any negatives about Rushmore just risky if your vacation has a chance of weather problems. Every trip is weather risky but I'd try to choose my best odds on a long trip like that. Hate to spend 3 days in a hotel room knowing what was to see around me. We rode to Niagra and ended up 42 degrees in the pouring rain. That day was not fun. 70 degrees in the rain is not fun either but better than 42.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wouldn't risk a trip in the mountains this time of year, but if it's only time you have , go for it! Otherwise, enjoy the smokey mountains and tha Ozarks.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
<...> We rode to Niagra and ended up 42 degrees in the pouring rain. That day was not fun. <...>
34 degrees - in June - a little west of where the OP is pointing his bike toward right now...

If it's clear, no problems.

If there's any chance of precipitation, you're right - bad time to be holed up in a room for a few days.

Though isn't the precip headed south right now? That means might be clear - and cold - where he want to go.

OP - Ever planned a trip using the National Weather Service? A quick read of the "Forecast Discussion" gives the full-blown scientific discussion from the forecaster's point of view. The way I read it, cold but clear... :thumbup:

Have fun!

·
Registered
348 Posts
The ten day looks a little chilly the first part of the week but starts warming up on Wednesday to a high of 65 of Friday. Snow and ice should not be a problem, especially in the central and southern hills where Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse are. The Black Hills generally does not go much over 5,000 feet so "mountain" snows are rare this time of year. Check the National Weather Service forcast for Custer or Keystone as the weather there is closest to what you will find at Crazy Horse or Rushmore.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Needles highway is cool

The Needles highway in the Black Hills is a must ride when in the area, I wonder if it's open yet? I do know they close that highway for the winter. But if it's open make sure to get on it. Good Luck and hoping for good clear weather for you..

·
Registered
938 Posts
This has been a bit of a cool spring in the upper midwest. The 10 forecast will make your decision the night before you leave the house.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I just drove from New York to Washington state to see my son and arrived here three days ago.

i came through Sturgis and Rapid City. It was about 70 degrees and dry. At altitude, it was in the mid 40's no snow and dry throughout the area. At this time of year it's a crap shoot in the mountains, so plan accordingly.........it snowed in the Idaho mountain passes yesterday above 2400 ft, rain below.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I have been to the Black Hills in early june before, cold and wet when I was there. I also go to Sturgis every year, been cold and wet in August also. :shock:

If it were me and I was going to burn some vacation time in May, I would hit the smokies and ozarks.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Going to the Dakota's is a roll-of-the-dice, weatherwise, at All times of the year... it is totally unpredictable!

I would go anytime, but keeping an eye on the near-term weather forcast; having rain gear with me; and having an Open-mind.

I've had some awesome rides going to places that normally are considered off-limits due to the typical weather (ex: Northern CA in December)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Outside of a freakish storm if you are worried about snow you shouldn't be. Cold and rain yes snow not so much so it would be rare to get snow this late in the spring. As for the Black Hills it's not like driving in the mountains where you get the higher elevations and occasional snow. I live right next to Fargo ND on the Minnesota side of the river north of Moorhead. We are getting rain here and it's in the 40's with highs today to be pushing 60 but you will want warmer clothing for riding in the mornings until it warms up. As always check the weather conditions before you leave and plan accordingly. But for those who say going to the Dakota's anytime of the year is a roll of the dice I'm sorry it's kind of funny. I once saw someone show up at the airport in Fargo in June wearing winter jackets. They were from Florida. All they knew of North Dakota was what they heard and saw on TV regarding the cold winters. They must think winter lasts 12 months out of the year :lol: I got sunburn from riding over the weekend and it was great weather (not the sunburn being great) but then again I don't tan.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
:agree: with Moorheadwingfan, Sounds like you are well prepared with proper gear :thumbup:
Yes you could hit some remote chance of snowy weather but if that happens rest assured in a few hours any snow would disappear, should be a nice time to visit Rushmore, not crowded, enjoy your trip :thumbup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Difficult decision

The spring storm is sticking around for much later that expected here in South Dakota. It is still snowing in the hills today with a chance of snow through Wednesday, then gradually warming to highs in the 50's for the weekend with a 30% chance of rain. Or.. Severe weather is expected throughout the central US and the further south you go the greater chance for tornados. :cry::cry:
Just check the weather and hope for the best.:shrug:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gladiator88...the OP is a local friend and due to the weather and only having this week to ride went south and is currently in the Florida keys....

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Gladiator88...the OP is a local friend and due to the weather and only having this week to ride went south and is currently in the Florida keys....
There are times you don't want to be in the Keys too. Pride week or something like that.:lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts