GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 1800 with 98000 miles on the odometer. The tech at my dealership showed me the oil from my final drive. There were metal shavings (micro) in the oil. the tech said he changed the oil and that I should it for a 500 mile ride. If there is still metal in the drive oil after that, he will open it up and see what is going on. I took a 300 mile ride and brought it back. I told him to open it u and at the minimum " change the drive gear and the gear from the drive shaft." I guess if I am going to take a heavy hit, should I add onto it by changing the alternator? I am planning a few long trips this summer. I don't need that final drive problem weighing on my mind. So what do you think of throwing in a new alternator?

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
WHOA! Regarding the final drive, just buy a trike take-off with propeller shaft. Dirt cheap and way easier than repairing a unit and more reliable too.

Get a Honda alternator, not an ebay one.

prs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks cant wait to find wait to find out what is going on in the pumpkin (final drive). I wanted to go all out and change the drive shaft. The tech said there was no need unless he observed cracks or problem witch the rubber boot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WHOA! Regarding the final drive, just buy a trike take-off with propeller shaft. Dirt cheap and way easier than repairing a unit and more reliable too.

Get a Honda alternator, not an ebay one.

prs
Yes all Oem parts.. It's an 02 so I wouldn't trust a take off from a trike. Assume high mileage on a take off.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Check with KD CYCLE in Alabama. They list items on Ebay, but you can also call them. I rode over and picked up a final drive for spare. They're only 50 miles from me. Nice folks!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019, 2020 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Yes all Oem parts.. It's an 02 so I wouldn't trust a take off from a trike. Assume high mileage on a take off.
Not really..I got a rear drive and drive shaft from a 04 model that had nearly zero miles on it...the owner triked the right after he bought it brand new..I never got to use it and its been sitting in my garage for 10 years now.

·
Registered
16,366 Posts
Not really..I got a rear drive and drive shaft from a 04 model that had nearly zero miles on it...the owner triked the right after he bought it brand new..I never got to use it and its been sitting in my garage for 10 years now.
Wrong assumption. They are VERY LOW miles.

prs

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I have a 2002 1800 with 98000 miles on the odometer. The tech at my dealership showed me the oil from my final drive. There were metal shavings (micro) in the oil. the tech said he changed the oil and that I should it for a 500 mile ride. If there is still metal in the drive oil after that, he will open it up and see what is going on. I took a 300 mile ride and brought it back. I told him to open it u and at the minimum " change the drive gear and the gear from the drive shaft." I guess if I am going to take a heavy hit, should I add onto it by changing the alternator? I am planning a few long trips this summer. I don't need that final drive problem weighing on my mind. So what do you think of throwing in a new alternator?
I
I would have him change the rear gear oil out and ride it. How long has it been mile wise since it was changed. Also an oem alternator is always the way to go especially nearing 100,000 miles. Keep the old one and have it refurnished and keep it as a spare on your long trips.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you can get the odometer on the trike takeoff, why pay for a new OEM unit?
my 2002 has 114,000 miles, at 95,000 miles the PO installed a brand new 2010 Trike takeoff unit. He owns a shop and had 10 of them in the store room.

I was planning a 5,000 mile tour, and wondered about the alternator. it was running just fine, no issues ever. But, I bought a new OEM alternator just for the hell of it..... put the old one in the trailer where it rode for 3 years :)

I have since acquired another Trike takeoff rear end, a 2010 also, from a friend. It was in "really bad shape" with at least 85 miles on it :) :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I
I would have him change the rear gear oil out and ride it. How long has it been mile wise since it was changed. Also an oem alternator is always the way to go especially nearing 100,000 miles. Keep the old one and have it refurnished and keep it as a spare on your long trips.
I change it every year. About 10 to 12 thousand

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
When I had my 2005 with over 100k miles on the clock, I changed the alternator for the same reason you are describing. Long trips to desolate places in the mid west. I didn't want to have a charging issue.
In fact I still have 3 box's standing by, ready to overnight ship if needed.
One has an alternator. Another with a trike take off final drive, and the third box has a propeller shaft. Marked A, B, C, I figured any one could be overnight shipped to me if I had any issue.
In fact last year a buddy had his alternator conk out in nowhere Idaho. I was able to over night my spare from here in So. Calif and he had it in 16 hours! Only lost 1 day out of a 12 day trip.
Another poster from New Mexico here had a propeller shaft give out right here near me. Was happy to help him also.

Now that I have a spankin new 2016, I most likely wont need these emergency back up parts, but I keep them on hand for friends and even my self.
Cheap easy insurance for long rides-trips.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I had my 2005 with over 100k miles on the clock, I changed the alternator for the same reason you are describing. Long trips to desolate places in the mid west. I didn't want to have a charging issue.
In fact I still have 3 box's standing by, ready to overnight ship if needed.
One has an alternator. Another with a trike take off final drive, and the third box has a propeller shaft. Marked A, B, C, I figured any one could be overnight shipped to me if I had any issue.
In fact last year a buddy had his alternator conk out in nowhere Idaho. I was able to over night my spare from here in So. Calif and he had it in 16 hours! Only lost 1 day out of a 12 day trip.
Another poster from New Mexico here had a propeller shaft give out right here near me. Was happy to help him also.

Now that I have a spankin new 2016, I most likely wont need these emergency back up parts, but I keep them on hand for friends and even my self.
Cheap easy insurance for long rides-trips.

Corventure Dave
Thanks Dave. Since they have already ordered parts and are already working on the bike, I will start shopping for these parts. Just so I can be ready for the next 100,000 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts