GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday when I was doing my air cleaner replacement I removed the connector going to the Air temperature sensor. When I was replacing it I found that the part of the connector that clicks on to the assembly was broken and no longer clipped into place. I felt that the location of this part under all the other wires would keep it in place. What are your thoughts?

The part number of the assembly on the manual is:

18 SENSOR ASSY., AIR TEMPERATURE...... 5 5A -------- -------- 1 37880-MCA-003 6619696

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
NAH!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I would've wrapped a couple layers of electrical tape around it, just in case.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
t-bear,

All the connectors I've had to deal with on my bike were quite hard to take apart because they fit together so tightly - same with putting them back together. If your connector is like this, there should be no problem. If it was really easy to come apart and put back together, I'd be concerned about it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If It were me and I could get a zip-tie around it I would feel better than nothing at all. Hope it works out for you.

N Ga Rider

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It is just a temp. probe but if it's important to ya, vibration could cause it to come apart. Like was already said: Wrap the connector up in some good electical tape, it's cheap and will work just fine.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does all this connector do is give the ambient temp on the display? If there is no other function to this unit, and since I have already buttoned the bike all up, I think I will leave well enough alone. If my display no longer reads the ambient temp then I will know what the problem is.
Is this temp reading used any where else on the bike? I do not mind if the display goes out for a short time, I generally know if I am cold or hot. I just do not want the bike to run poorly or stop running if it needs this reading. Just not sure it is worth the 2 plus hours needed to tear it apart and put it back together if the worst thing that can happen is I will not know what the temp is.

Thanks for all the replies

·
Vendor
21,884 Posts
The temp probe that sticks into the airbox is for the ECM to measure intake air temperature. I suspect you will get a FI light indication if the connector comes off that probe, but I don't know that for a fact. The ECM needs to know the intake air temp in order to calculate the proper amount of fuel to supply (via adjusting the pulse width of the signal sent to the injectors).

Your display of outside air temp comes from a different sensor, which is in the right side air duct under the right glove box pocket.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Fred,
I just figured out what you just said. I thought it would be strange to gather outside air temp from the air filter area.

In your opinion, should I take the top shelter off again and make sure that this connector is secure. I have a long winter ahead of me, so I guess I have enough time to do it.

Thanks

·
Vendor
21,884 Posts
t-bear said:
Hi Fred,
I just figured out what you just said. I thought it would be strange to gather outside air temp from the air filter area.

In you opinion, should I take the top shelter off again and make sure that this connector is secure. I have a long winter ahead of me, so I guess I have enough time to do it.

Thanks
I suspect it will stay in place just fine even with the tab broken off. There is no stress on it so there is no reason for it to come unpluged.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Fred,
I will attend to it a little better the next time I am in that area of the bike.

Thanks again for your vidios, without them I would never have attempted the air filter change and it really was no big deal. I watched you do it the night before and all went well, I guess except for the broken connector, which was a minor issue.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
If your bike suddenly starts running bad when cold and has terrible gas mileage, you will know it's loose. :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The more I think about it, I will go in there on a cold and snowy day when I have nothing else to do and make sure it stays put for the upcomming season. I should be able to get to it with just removing the top shelter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
t-bear...
if the sensor comes loose you WILL get an FI light on the dash. I'd put a zip tie on it just for safety sake BTDT
I don't think you can get to it without removing the top shelter... but good luck<G>

1 - 14 of 14 Posts