GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as some of you know, I just purchased our "new" '07 GW. Well, the information that I had received from the gentleman that I purchased it from told me the story of the original owner and how he was a Honda dealer and every milestone service and required recall had been done. Needless to say, that was not completely true. The original owner did own a couple of "powersports" stores, not Honda, no recalls had been addressed, we can not find any history of service being performed. I still can not figure out why the service records and other important information is not linked to ALL Honda dealers so they can see history at a glance, no matter which one you take it to?? The recall of the brake system is the only outstanding recall, Honda Corporate looked that one up, They can only see recalls performed, nothing else. So I have since taken it in to our Honda dealer here in Salt Lake and am wondering if any of you have any recommendations as to what I should do to "start" my own records and history going forth? I am requesting the 12K service and am having them go through the brakes, plugs, filters, and suspension. Could I be missing something that could have worn and failed because of , I'm assuming, no service had been done.

Anything else that you guys can think of that I should have them look at, would be greatly appreciated:lol:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Waste of money in my opinion but if it makes you feel good....
1) Air filter 40-50k check it with a snake scope in between
2) Plugs 25-30k
3) My current OEM brake pads have 48k on them
4) Fluids 50k
5) Oil and filter 8k
6) Suspension upgrade 50k or when you can afford it

My bike has 88k and runs perfectly....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waste of money in my opinion but if it makes you feel good....
1) Air filter 40-50k check it with a snake scope in between
2) Plugs 25-30k
3) My current OEM brake pads have 48k on them
4) Fluids 50k
5) Oil and filter 8k
6) Suspension upgrade 50k or when you can afford it

My bike has 88k and runs pefectly....

Not about a particular feeling or the money, just want to start a "baseline" so going forward I know what has been done. I live under the montra "Trust..but Verify", Thanks for the input:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I take care of my stuff and am not an aggressive rider. I had my values checked around 80k. Mechanic said all were within spec and he would not have them checked again. I had my '89 1500 for 16 years and followed the same schedule as I stated and I never had an issue and it ran just as good as the day I bought it when I sold it. You can go broke following all the maintenance recommendations on this board. And the ones that due maintenance by the book usually change their oil every 3-5k but the book recommends 8k. So it is all subjective. Enjoy the ride but fluids and brakes do not go bad at 13k.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
So, as some of you know, I just purchased our "new" '07 GW. Well, the information that I had received from the gentleman that I purchased it from told me the story of the original owner and how he was a Honda dealer and every milestone service and required recall had been done. Needless to say, that was not completely true. The original owner did own a couple of "powersports" stores, not Honda, no recalls had been addressed, we can not find any history of service being performed. I still can not figure out why the service records and other important information is not linked to ALL Honda dealers so they can see history at a glance, no matter which one you take it to?? The recall of the brake system is the only outstanding recall, Honda Corporate looked that one up, They can only see recalls performed, nothing else. So I have since taken it in to our Honda dealer here in Salt Lake and am wondering if any of you have any recommendations as to what I should do to "start" my own records and history going forth? I am requesting the 12K service and am having them go through the brakes, plugs, filters, and suspension. Could I be missing something that could have worn and failed because of , I'm assuming, no service had been done.

Anything else that you guys can think of that I should have them look at, would be greatly appreciated:lol:
The initial oil change is supposed to be at 4,000 miles and then 8,000 thereafter. The only other thing recommended before 13,000 miles is air filter at 12,000, but most get much more from their air filters. So, I would say that even if the original owner did absolutely nothing in the way of maintanance you would be OK. Just change oil and filter and start your own records.

·
Registered
237 Posts
At 13,000 miles personally I'd change oil and filter and check the brakes for piece of mind.
From that time forward I would keep my own records.
Most importantly I would spend my time riding instead of talking myself into all the upgrades someone thinks I need.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I take care of my stuff and am not an aggressive rider. I had my values checked around 80k. Mechanic said all were within spec and he would not have them checked again. I had my '89 1500 for 16 years and followed the same schedule as I stated and I never had an issue and it ran just as good as the day I bought it when I sold it. You can go broke following all the maintenance recommendations on this board. And the ones that due maintenance by the book usually change their oil every 3-5k but the book recommends 8k. So it is all subjective. Enjoy the ride but fluids and brakes do not go bad at 13k.

Thanks guys! That is I would like to start my own records, to have the same outcome that you all have in a bike that has been well taken care of. Thank you for the support, this GW thing is all new to me, and I respect the knowledge and wisdom for you that have been doing it for so long:bow:. I am sure I will have other requests and unorthodox ideas as I go along in this journey, but I will expect the "kick in the butt" to get me to the straight and narrow, and welcome the guidance. Thanks again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
FWIW, I got my '06 back in october with just shy of 12k miles on it. It had had annual oil changes, but no other preventative maintenance.
I changed the brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant, and final drive oil. The brake and clutch fluids were very dark and on the verge of going sludgy, and the coolant was not a happy colour :lol:

I would get those fluids swapped out - if they've never been changed, 7 years is a long time for brake fluid and coolant.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
You've been given good info regarding air filters, plugs, brakes pads etc.

If it was mine, I'd probably flush fresh fluid into the brakes and clutch -- not from miles, but from age.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You should be aware that bike does NOT have enough miles on it. That needs to be remedied. Immediately. Ride it....

:thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts