GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this complaint by others, as I had the same complaint. I ran out and got risers thinking it would help. After 1.5 years of aches, pains, burning, I decided to go to the Dr. to see if there was more to it - there is (in my case), and may require surgery.

I've had 2 cortisone shots in the shoulder, 2 months of physical therapy, 2 x-rays, and finally an MRI. (of course, I still got 10,000 miles in this year :) )

Here's the problem: I have what's called an "Impingement". The top of the shoulder "Acromion" has a down-slope condition.
Now, in English: The top of the shoulder has a little more bone to it than what is required. When the arm is raised parallel or over the head, the bone is creating pressure.

It was after all this medical mumbo jumbo that I starting realizing that when I started riding heavier a couple years ago, my shoulder started hurting more and more.

The surgery is easy, arthroscopic, drill a couple holes in me, get out the drummel tool and shave off some bone, and put me back together.

SO .... if you have aching, burning pain in your shoulder(s) when riding, and it has been going on for a while, you may want to get it checked into.

Of course, I haven't been under the knife yet, so I don't know if it will work, but it all makes sense now!

Regor

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks for the report Regor. I know numerous posts have mentioned the "shoulder pain", so it appears to be a common ailment. Some have been aided by using the V&P or MBL risers, but not all. I am one of the ones that had some success with the V&P risers, but the condition was not completely eliminated. I have the MBL risers now, and will install them before the next riding season. Let us know how the arthroscopic surgery goes. Wishing for the best for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had artroscopic surgery on my sholder Dec.3. Sounds like about the sameting the doctor said he had to scrap some bone spurs off. At first he thought it was a torn rotator cuff. I was back in the saddle by Dec.15. Yesterday I rode for a couple of hours and it was a little sore. Good luck with the surgery and do the exercises they give you to do afterwords.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Regor,

I looked in the 03 shop manual and did not find any of those words you used in the trouble shooting section.

You had better go see a mechanic! :lol:

All the Best

Bulldog

·
Registered
322 Posts
Regor, you hit home with this one.
Two years ago, I had rotator cuff surgury on my left shoulder which involved what you were saying. I remember the big words! I have a three inch scar on my left shoulder from the procedure. I was out of work for about ten weeks.
The results were well worth it, in case you are wondering.
I have also had tendonitis surgury on both elbows, and bursitis surgury on one elbow. (No, I don't have three arms!) The tendonitis problems were just as painfull as the shoulder problem was. These fix-ups took about six months to recover from. One problem would surface after getting over the one previous.
I am now having shoulder trouble on my right side, but I hope to God it'll not get much worse. I do not want to be cut open any more. I have joined a gym, and have been working out regularly with the hopes of strengthening everything.
None of these problems have been caused by riding though. My doctor says that it is just the way I am. They are work related overuses. I am a mechanic in a chemical plant, and frequently get into some difficult positions and alot of handling of heavy items and working on machinery.
The riding position of the Wing fits me well. I had a Valkyrie before this bike, and the Wing puts me in a more relaxed seating position.
Take care, Eric

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm one that has to agree with Regor reguarding the ergonomics on the 1800. I purchased my first Wing last year after several years of riding sport touring machines (VFR's). During those years I never experience any sort of back or shoulder problems, only a little buzzing & numbness in the right wrist after several hours in the saddle. After riding the Wing for a couple of weeks, I started to notice back pain and hot spots. I thought it was in my head. More months of riding confirmed that the ergos of the GL1800 weren't matching my body very well (6'0" x 190 lb).

I purchased a back rest, hwy pegs & the MLB risers which helped a lot and started seeing a chiropracter which helped a lot more. I can now ride all day with very little discomfort, however I still believe that the ergos aren't as good as they could be or as they should have been. I've noticed that the hand grips are still at the wrong angle compared to my palms when in a natural and relaxed position. What I wouldn't give (a.k.a. spend) to flatten the angle of those grips another 10 - 15 degrees.

For hoots, I recently picked up a used Superhawk to take over the daily commuting & wet weather grung duties and I was amazed at how much more comfortable and natural the riding position is. (No flames please, I think it's a fetal position thing). I love my Wing and won't part with it because nothing replaces the convenience & accessories (intercom, stereo, wind protection, storage, etc.) when my wife & I hit the road.

I just wish Honda would have built the bike around me instead of such a wonder engine & chassis. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
221 Posts
When I had my GL1500 it used to give me constant pain in my right lower shoulder blade area after riding for an hour or more. When I got my GL1800 in '01, I no longer got the shoulder blade pain. Sometime last year I started getting pain in upper outside part of my right shoulder while using the Mouse on the computer or riding a lot without using the cruse control. Last month it had gotten so bad that I switched to using the Mouse with my left hand and added a throttle rocker to the bike. I think it has something to do with aggravating the mussels in the upper arm that are used to hold up the wrist while using the mouse and twisting the throttle on the bike. Since switching to the left handed Mouse, the pain in my right shoulder was a whole lot less when I went for a ride this last weekend. I'm going to give it another Month to see if it continues to improve.
I don't know if your right arm hurts while using the mouse but if it does, try using it with your left hand for a while. Now If I could only get the throttle on the bike to be on the left I would have it made.

:yw1:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I installed my mbl's yesterday, and since the weather here was 41 today, took a short 80 mile ride. No back/shoulder aches or pains at all, but my right wrist got a bit sore, but cleared up shortly after getting home. Someone else on this site has mentioned this, and said he just repositioned his wrist on the grip. I'll try more positions when normal riding season gets here. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, it is my left shoulder that is hurt, and not my throttle hand. The pain got to the point that while riding, I would drive with just my right hand for control, and leave my left arm in my lap(this is on straightaways, not twisties). That's when I realized I better get help.

Regor

·
Registered
260 Posts
Regor said:
The surgery is easy, arthroscopic, drill a couple holes in me, get out the drummel tool and shave off some bone, and put me back together.
Regor
This is my first post since we changed over.
Regor,
As an Xray tech, working for a couple ortho guys, I have seen this problem several times. Keep your chin up and hang on to that positive attitude. That is probably 90 percent, or more, of the battle. It is amazing what these guys can do nowdays.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts