·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions if you don’t mind:
1) Have you had shoulder surgery?
2) Arthroscopic or full invasive?
3) Your age at surgery?
4) How long after the surgery before you rode the Wing?
5) How long till complete recovery?
6) Other than a battery maintainer, Battery Tender Jr, is there anything you would do to the Wing before the surgery to help it during my recovery period?
Thanks

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
Yes, I was 53. It took 5weeks to stop hurting. Arthroscopic. I was riding in about 6 weeks. I tried a lot of therapy, before and after.

·
Registered
192 Posts
George:

1) YES
2) Full Invasive (known by those of us in the OR as "Open")
3) 50
4) At least 6 months for open surgery
5) At least 9 months
6) Let a qualified rider, ride it every few months.

George; obviously I don't know you situation(blown rotator cuff...ect) but I work in surgery and blew out my shoulder at work. In my mind; it was no big deal; I do these surgeries every day. WRONG!
Please don't let this scare you, if you need it; like I did; you have to have it done.
It's the recovery that is tough to get through. Just trying to put deodorant in your underarm requires using your fingers to climb up a wall to get to your pit; and it's a slow crawl. Thank God,and chemical engineers for pain killers!
From my experience, for the first few day's after surgery; I recommend you fill a sock with baby powder and put it in your pit, that stops the (itching) rash; and general discomfort caused by the high temperature, and sweat caused by not being able to readily move your arm.
Been there; done that!
Hell I'm just recovering from my 4th back surgery!
Don't let the what if's worry you, get it done, work through the recovery (and physical therapy), and you will be just fine. My shoulder is just fine 1 year after surgery. Now I just have to recover from my 6 week old back surgery; back to work yesterday and my first case was a shoulder :)
If you are wondering; I'm a First Surgical Assistant (thus my screen name). A real Doctor works on one side of the patient, and I do the same thing on my side under his (or her) watchful eye.
I get to play Doctor without having a silver spoon in my mouth, or paying for the years of school. Not to mention my malpractice insurance is about one third of theirs.
Get it done, get through the recovery, AND GET BACK ON THE WING! :thumbup:

Good Luck:
Rick

·
Registered
424 Posts
3) Your age at surgery?
6) Other than a battery maintainer, Battery Tender Jr, is there anything you would do to the Wing before the surgery to help it during my recovery period?
Thanks
1 YES
2 ARTHROSCOPIC
3 50
4 still in recover mode it's be two months
5 ????????????????
6 I went for a long ride before surgery it then went into the shop to get some stuff done to it and it will be there until i can ride it away.I shotting for April

·
Registered
317 Posts
1. Yes
2. Arthroscopic
3. 47
4. Haven't yet. It was December 2, 2008.
5. ??????? Some days after therapy, I think never!!!!!!
6. The wife is taking care of that. She has 4 bikes to keep up.

My first month sleeping was the biggest problem. You better have a comfortable recliner! Trying to lay down was out of the question. Therapy was not bad. I would need pain killers before (to be prepared) and after.

The second month sleeping was the biggest problem. I could get in the bed but had to keep a small pillow under my arm when I would lay on my good side. No pillow, would wake up hurting. Therapy was not to bad and would sometimes need a pain pill.

The third month sleeping was my biggest problem. Still have to use the small pillow when I am on my good side and I can lay on my back OK. Therapy is ......... not sure what word to use. I think her feet is off the ground at times. I don't need any pain pills now. The cold bothers me more than the therapy.

I don't have the range of movement that the doctor was hoping for but I do not have the pain and the numb fingers like I had before either. I know I am not ready to get on the bike.

If asked .... take the nerve block in the neck before and keep the Percocet close by afterwards. Good luck and do what the doctor says .... if not you will be back!!!!!!

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
It's time to get something done when you wake up screaming at night because of the pain.

I had 180 stitches in my shoulder. It was bound to my side for 90 days.
The rehab was 6 months of 6 hours a day, and hurt. It was two years before it wasn't the first thing I thought of when I woke up.

I got the full range back and it has given me no problems the last 7 years.

Yes, I would do it again, but I wouldn't look foward to it.

·
Administrator
3,584 Posts
Well, I apparently had a lot different experience.

I destroyed my rotator cuff a few months ago when I had an "Oh CRAP" moment loading my riding lawnmower into the back of my pickup using a couple of 2 X 8 boards. I fell onto my right shoulder, and the mower fell onto me. It must have been a Kodak moment. Anyway, the shoulder was non-repairable. Doctor said I'd have partial use of the arm, but with limited strength and limited range of motion.

I'm 62 years old, and 2 weeks ago, February 13, I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. I guess it was orthoscopic for I had only three stitches but it was full rotator cuff surgery. The Doctor painted a long recovery process, and gave me plenty of painkillers.

My coworkers were shocked when I walked in the office 3 days later on Monday morning. My work (I came out of retirement recently to write operating manuals) is strictly clerical and all I must do is operate a computer. I work every day, and I've regained a lot of use of my arm. I start therapy next week, and I fully expect to be riding my Wing in 2 or 3 weeks from now.

There is a lot of pain, but the only time I take painkillers is at night when I need to sleep.

Glen

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I had arthroscopic rotator cuff, labrum, and bicept tendon surgery at 52. I took my first ride after 3 months and it was borderline too soon. It has been just over a year now and I am finally realizing the benefits of it. I am glad I did it but man for the first 2 to 3 months it was pretty rough. Good Luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Arthoscopic rotator cuff repair right shoulder with bone spur removal.

Physical therapy started the next day......can you spell pure agony for a couple of weeks.

One year until full pain free range of motion and strength.

Age 53.

Started riding after 3 months.

Battery tender and do the PT just like the sadistic little guys and gals tell you to.

·
SOB First Shirt
918 Posts
3) Your age at surgery?
Thanks
1. Yes
2. Full
3. 69
4. 4 Months (Stayed out of the twisties until 8 Months)
5. 7 Months
6. No

·
Registered
487 Posts
Not me but wife(64) has had 4 shoulder surgeries in the last 18 months on the same shoulder...YEA...I know what you are thinking.

(1) Surgery-Torn rotator cuff
(2) 2 months after surgery young therapist pushed her too hard too soon during therapy and tore it again-this was the second surgery
(3) 4 months after 2nd surgery she wasn't getting any better...they ran more tests and found out that the blood wasn't getting to the bone and the bone was dying...3rd surgery they did a partial shoulder replacement
(4) About 3 months after 3rd surgery she slipped in shower and tore the rotator cuff and bicep again....required 4th surgery and they told her this would be the last surgery they COULD perform on this shoulder so she would have to live with the results....Physical therapist is taking it very very easy with a minimum of 1 year therapy.

I wanted her to go to the trike rally in April but doc says he can't even believe she asked if she could ride by then.

·
Registered
863 Posts
1 yes
2 both
3 56
4 first time one month. second time 1 1/2 week probably to soon.
5 still recovering
6 Battery tender and put the wing on center stand.

first surgery full ivasive was aug last year. Second was two weeks ago.

be careful when you talk to people about shoulder surgery. Rotator cuff
surgery seems to cover a lot of different procedures.
I have had people tell me they fully recovered in a week and other like myself that had major damage that may take well over a year if ever.

good luck and hope yours recovers quickly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks everybody for the info. Saw the surgeon today. One month in an immobilizer. One month where the PT moves the arm around. Next month I get to try to move it. After 4 months we will talk about when I get to ride again. Absolutely no "long distance riding" for 6 months. It's going to be a wonderful spring!!!

How did you check your surgeon out?

·
Registered
841 Posts
My wife had rotator surgery and it is no picnic. One of the things they gave us at the hospital was a cooler that circulated ice water through a couple of hoses to an ice pack looking thing on her shoulder. Really helped the discomfort and reduced the swelling. That may be standard now but if not might want to ask about it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Talked to two doctors and several friends.

Doctor one said he would cut (slice) thru the outer deltoid. I said thanks and walked away.

Doctor two said he would make two holes (that can no longer be seen) and anyone who had a positive opinion about orthpedic surgeons gave me his name. He worked on lots of athletes.

I was around 40. These guys had alot of patients, mostly knees...big ski resort town, Mammoth Lakes. My guy was in Bishop.

Can you say pain killers for few weeks. Rehab for a few mouths. You can ride as soon as you feel up to it, a week to a month. If your bike starts to go over, do not try to keep it up or pick it up... leave it.

Now, several years later, it still feels strong and healthy.
Would do the other shoulder if it needed it with no reservation.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
424 Posts
My wife had rotator surgery and it is no picnic. One of the things they gave us at the hospital was a cooler that circulated ice water through a couple of hoses to an ice pack looking thing on her shoulder. Really helped the discomfort and reduced the swelling. That may be standard now but if not might want to ask about it.
I had rotator cuff surgery in Dec 08 and they did give me the ice cooler.It worked great and i still use it on my P.T. when i have tuff day.I'm hoping for a late April date to return to riding.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Bummer... I wish you a quick recovery.

I cut my thumb off in a woodworking accident on March 29th last year and had a new one made from a toe on June 10th. I started riding in early September but wasn't comfortable until Mid October and my season ended (because of snow) shortly afterwards. I only made 3k miles for the year.

The upside... I'm really looking forward to riding this year!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts