GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred, gonna do a valve adjustment. Wondering if you have a recommendation on a source for shims? Not knowing what I'll need, I thought I would consider investing in a shim kit before hand.

Would appreciate your advice on this. Bike is an 02 GL1800A

·
Vendor
22,218 Posts
Matt,

Unfortunately, all the shims kits I have seen come in .050 mm increments, and to do be able to set your valves to center spec, you really need .025 mm increment shims, and the only way I've found to get them in the proper size is from Honda. But you won't know what size you need till you pull the cams, so you'll either have to pull them and put it back together and go order them, or leave it apart and wait till you get them.

Some dealerships will let you swap shims if you go to the service department instead of the parts dept. Sometimes the service folks will have what you need and sometimes they won't. If you have more than one dealer in your area, you might be able to hit up several and be able to scrounge up what you need.

Also, when you get done, be sure to make a shim map of all the shim sizes currently in the engine, so that next time you don't have to pull out the cam shafts to find out what is under them.

·
Vendor
18,394 Posts
Or, you can do a search and get a kit from HotCams. Then order in some .198, 202, 208, 212s from Honda.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i took mine apart measured shims reassembled, ordered shims and took apart again using freds videos, it was trouble free.

·
IronMan
17,797 Posts
I bought shims procycle trouble is most sizes will never use let me no what sizes you need

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I, too, am nutty about setting things center of specification; but the honest factful truth is, withinin the specified range is "in spec". The larger margin of error or variation will fall with the mechanic's technique with the feeler gagues and in how well all the oil is cleaned from the buckets' shim recesses before shims are replaced.

I was able to center spec mine using the .05 step size shim kit from HotCams, although it did involve swapping some of the Honda shims already in the bike. Greg's idea is also very workable; get the kit, see how it works out in putting your lash within your idea of acceptable spec, recording the results, then order any half sizes smaller that you may need during the next service interval.

prs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts