GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa gave me a Big Bike Parts Luggage rack and I am wondering if there are any tricks to doing the install?
The instructions are real straight forward but I seem to remember something about a star washer that some were using with some racks. I was wondering if that applied to this rack or a different manufacture's rack.
Seems strange that the screws go thru both the inner and outer shells of the trunk or maybe just me over thinking it.
Anybody have a pic of one installed on their bike.
Anyone have any comments on this rack?
Thanks....

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you need the star washers for any trunk rack. They will prevent cracking of the trunk lid. I have the Kuryaken rack on mine, and two of the mounting bolts go through both the top of the lid and the liner underneath, two of them go between the lid and the liner. Not hard to do. Just be careful drilling holes. Measure twice, you only get to drill once.
Hope this helps.

Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Turk said:
Santa gave me a Big Bike Parts Luggage rack and I am wondering if there are any tricks to doing the install?
The instructions are real straight forward but I seem to remember something about a star washer that some were using with some racks. I was wondering if that applied to this rack or a different manufacture's rack.
Seems strange that the screws go thru both the inner and outer shells of the trunk or maybe just me over thinking it.
Anybody have a pic of one installed on their bike.
Anyone have any comments on this rack?
Thanks....
Watch the screws that fasten the liner in. Some are longer than others and if you use a long one where a short one should go, you'll end up with a dimple in your trunk.

I'm sure you don't need to ask how I know, but the spoiler does a pretty good job of hiding it. :)

Steve

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a Show Chrome luggage rack. Had it installed in Custer last summer. All the mounting bolts go thru the lid only, not thru the liner. The guy I bought from recommended the star washer and I agreed. They keep the trunk form cracking and I think they look good. It seem to me if you are going to put the mounting bolts thru the liner you would need a spacer between the liner and the lid. It does look like, if you did use spacers, it would make the entire assy much stronger. JMHO

·
Registered
994 Posts
Had the rack installed at the same time as our conversion BUT this is what I did after. I was installing the run/brake spoiler kit and noticed the space between the lid and inner liner. The installer used rubber spacers to take up the space but wasn't sure if they were the exact thickness needed. I sealed off both lid and inner liner with saran wrap. Then mixed up some body filler (Bondo) and spread it on each hole. I then pressed the inner liner into place and held it with a few screws. After the filler set up I redrilled the holes. Now I have a solid filler between the inner liner and the lid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts